• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

truck rolls in park

Just recieved my M1028 yesterday from Warner Robins ABF . it has a bent drive shaft and tranny problem, what would cause the truck to roll in park , all gear work fine forward and reverse . i have manually switch it into every gear by hand by removing the linkage at the transmission.

stumps

"Park" is just a pawl that locks the drive shaft from turning. If you get pushed while in park (by a fork lift, perhaps?) , the pawl will often get broken.

-Chuck

Last edited:

pigfoot63

Parking pawl my be broken, or transmission may have been replaced with one from a HMMV. which doesn't have a parking pawl. Either way just drop the pan and take a look.
Can be fixed without removing trans.

blackhueys

you can add the pawl if I remember right to the hmmwv trans if it is the old style not the 4l80e that trans does have park just like a civi truck at least if I remeber from my m1151 maint training class.

stumps

Parking pawls break if you push, or run into a truck that is in park. A friction brake just slips, and then continues holding when the push ends.

Broken Park pawls used to be a pretty common problem in parking lot accidents.

-Chuck

cyamaha2007

Ive seen parking paws break when you break the drive shaft and put it in park. The trans is still moving even tho the truck isnt. Or if you have the tcase in neutral and try to put it in park.:shock:

If the paw broke willl there be a part of it laying in the transmission cover. .
Im not to sure what i will be looking for . thanks everyone for the help.. i will
be loading pictures of the ( 3 ) M1028 trucks i have before i start working on them.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Sounds like your truck was a victim of the dreaded "GL forklift syndrome".

I saw a lot of CUCV and 5/4 ton trucks being unloaded off trailers with a big forklift....they usually manage to dent the driveshaft on everyone they pick up like that.

86m1028

Just recieved my M1028 yesterday from Warner Robins ABF . it has a bent drive shaft and tranny problem, what would cause the truck to roll in park , all gear work fine forward and reverse . i have manually switch it into every gear by hand by removing the linkage at the transmission.

Is the t-case in gear ?