• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

turn signal problem on HEMTT

2deuce

This problem kept us from taking the truck to an event yesterday and my son and I are at the limit of our understanding. So I'm asking for help.
The left rear turn signal does not work. Every other lighting function does. Brake lights work, the front left turn signals work, the right side all work, all the hazard lights work, including the left rear. Tail lights work. All the bulbs are working, but when the left turn is on, the rear doesn't come on. There is no effect on any other light, only the left turn rear stays off, left turn front is working. I can't find any power in the trailer plug either when the left turn is activated.
Somebody has sanded the paint off the mounting bolts holes on the tail light mounting plate as evidence of a problem solving attempt in the past, but there is a separate grounding wire already there. The right side is grounded the same.

Many thanks if you can solve this headache.

snowtrac nome

I have seen this before try the turn signal switch there is a separate set of contacts for they rear signals and front signals a good quick test for the wiring is do you have brake lights as the signals and brake light share the same circuit to the rear

2deuce

Thanks snowtrac, I was wondering about separate contacts in the switch. I hadn't thought about how the brake light is turned off when the turn signal is applied but the turn signal switch makes sense where this happens. I don't think we tried both brakes and the left turn at the same time, but we will now. We do have brake lights, everything works except the left turn rear. I tried wiggling the switch with the left turn blinking in the dash and the front and nothing happened with my son watching the rear. My experience with trailers and civilian vehicles is the brakes share the same line with turn signals and usually I get feedback through other bulbs. That shows a problem with a short or ground, but this time it is just off.

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

with out the turn signal both brake lights working you will know the wiring and bulbs are working. the signal will remove the brake light power and close contacts, that will draw power off the flasher, causing the signal to blink while allowing the brake light to operate on the side you are not signaling on.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I believe it is the same switch as every other truck. Mine dropped the signal for the turn out of the switch. Power at the flasher. Nothing out of the switch to the harness. Brake lights worked. Rather than replace the switch i jumped the turn harness wire to the signal wire for the trailer plug and it worked fine. I can get the wire numbers when i get home. If you have a power probe you can add power to the wire out of the switch to see if it comes on. Or just any power jump wire. 20170627_185807.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

2deuce

Snowtrac, We had to reassemble so we had the turn signals grounded. With the brakes on, both brake lights are working. Then when the turn signal switch is moved left turn both rear brake lights go out and the light on the dash goes solid on-no flash. When turned to right turn with the brakes on the lights work as they should with the right side flashing and the left side brake light on. Does this then say the switch is bad?

Thanks

2deuce

Simp5782, Did you have power at the trailer plug when you jumped it? I could not find any for the left turn at my plug. With my left turn off and the brakes on, I have brake lights. When I go left turn on at the switch both brake lights go out and the front stops blinking, it goes solid on, on the dash.

Thanks

Gunzy

I have a used T/S switch and flasher. Is your switch in the column or attached to the outside? I have both and they are not the same standard switch found in most MVs. PM me if interested.

2deuce

Since it was looking like a turn signal switch problem, I took the switch apart. It looks brand new inside, nothing has gotten hot, it looks perfect. I put it back together and pulled back the dash. The white wire coming from the switch is labeled "left rear" it was plugged into wire #1294. With the left turn signal on, it was suppling flashing 24volts. I tested the stop light wire on the rear, before it enters the light housing and it is completely dead with the left turn signal running, the same wire connected, lights up the brake light when the brakes are applied.

2deuce

We found the problem! Actually my son did. The wire labeled "rear left" coming from the switch should be attached to wire 1003 not wire 1294 the wire that was attached to 1003 was the brake stop. So we changed the 2 and it works right. Simple as that! This truck probably never had a left turn since the rebuild. That's why all the mounting holes on the rear tail lights have the paint ground off and the left side received a new light with led lights on the bottom, the right side is an older style and the black out doesn't work. What a relief! Thanks to all of you that gave assistance, what you said got us going in the right direction.

Steve1031

We found the problem! Actually my son did. The wire labeled "rear left" coming from the switch should be attached to wire 1003 not wire 1294 the wire that was attached to 1003 was the brake stop. So we changed the 2 and it works right. Simple as that! This truck probably never had a left turn since the rebuild. That's why all the mounting holes on the rear tail lights have the paint ground off and the left side received a new light with led lights on the bottom, the right side is an older style and the black out doesn't work. What a relief! Thanks to all of you that gave assistance, what you said got us going in the right direction.
Good to hear you got it fixed! We need to hook up someplace so we can check it out when mine gets here on Monday!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk