• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

types of jerry cans, mine look strange.

whyme

i was given a Jerry can a few months back and never really thought much about it once i put it on the truck, after a while i began to take notice of Jerry cans in the pictures around here and i noticed mine is different than any Ive seen before. mine is a steel jerry can and fits in the holder on my truck, it looks exactly like the fuel can i see on most members trucks but i have a flip lock style cap, not the removable cap i see on most. also the whole is 3-4inches diameter so its not like the earlier fuel cans ive seen on some equipment.

yesterday i was given another jerry can and its of the same type so obviously these are around but Google gave me nothing and both where painted OD so its a safe bet these are military.

pics when i can get them. im at work and this is really driving me nuts

FrankUSMC

That is a water can you have. Most will have the maker and date under the carry handle, were fuel cans are stamped on the bottom (they are a very few rare ones that were stamped on top during WWII)
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

whyme

well that explains my failed search attempts... yeah its a water can.

so aside from marking it for safety reasons is there any reason i cant use these for fuel?

Metternacht

Maybe a way to fuel small engines without spilling everywhere? or is it an old re-purposed water can with a dispenser. do you see water stamped on the side anywhere?

my Best guess

ODdave

Just looked a lil closer, It is %100 factory and has this stamped in the side,

"WAJAX"
FUEL
5 GAL

Kinna axes the "water can" thing huh?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I would use it for water and find another real fuel can.

ditto. Keep your water can for times you need 5 gallons of water. Keep it in your truck for long trips so if you spring a coolant leak you can top off the system until you can get the leak fixed, have a way to wash your hands at rallies, etc.

Or use it the way the army intended-boil potatoes in it. :lol:

mightymanx

someone explain this lil guy to me.....?

It's a NATO fuel can not a US can.

I have 5 of them, and the poster that said it was to feed small engines was correct just like the dip-tube syphon cap the US uses.

They work tons better than the US cans because they can pour with out a spout try that with a US jerry can. (good luck)

They are all over every NATO country and Yes they have been put on US vehicles.

Last edited:

FrankUSMC

On one of my water cans here, we added a water spigot to the front of it. As Clinto pointed out, they are great for washing your hands.
The picture of the red jerry can with the small pecock on the side looks to be european. That pour spout (cam spout) was used on jerry cans made in europe from preWWII to present day, and in 1943 and 44, some were made for the Marines.
I have some pre war jerry cans here and some WWII american, german, british, plus several of the WWII Marine jerry cans.
Yes, keep your water can as a water can. Jerry cans are much easier to find.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

JB

I have a flip top jerry can that is similar to the water can but the hole is round instead of the toilet bowl shape. I was told it is for transporting food like stews and soups. Sorry no pics it just got packed for anticipated move.