• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What are the pros and cons of the 6.2l diesel?

BIG_RED

If you go the 6.2 route, before you put the engine in your truck, drop the oil pan and look for main bearing web cracks. I understand that one of the weaknesses of the 6.2 is broken bearing webs, eventually leading to busted crankshafts. Often it's caused by a rotted harmonic balancer. If you do a quick search, you'll find many ways to check if your balancer is still good. I'd check that before installing it too, way easier to replace on a bare engine.

Lower RPM = longer life. You'll want Overdrive with those gears to travel 70 MPH quietly with good fuel mileage. My M1009 has 3.08 gears and a th400. (third gear = 1:1). It's pretty loud at 60 MPH and just gets louder. And I get way better fuel mileage at 50 MPH.

bubba_got_you

If you go the 6.2 route, before you put the engine in your truck, drop the oil pan and look for main bearing web cracks. I understand that one of the weaknesses of the 6.2 is broken bearing webs, eventually leading to busted crankshafts. Often it's caused by a rotted harmonic balancer. If you do a quick search, you'll find many ways to check if your balancer is still good. I'd check that before installing it too, way easier to replace on a bare engine.

Lower RPM = longer life. You'll want Overdrive with those gears to travel 70 MPH quietly with good fuel mileage. My M1009 has 3.08 gears and a th400. (third gear = 1:1). It's pretty loud at 60 MPH and just gets louder. And I get way better fuel mileage at 50 MPH.
When I acquire the motor I am going to use I will go true it and check it out.