• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do I do now?

bubba_got_you

What do I do now?
[FONT=&quot]So I don’t know my bumper #’s or any of my m37 #’s for that matter because it cane to me after serving a LONG time on a farm and was beat to he// and repainted multiple times. When I first got it I did sand carefully to try and find the #’s but it was no use. The only thing I found that I could read was HQ and other than that it was all un legible. So what do I do ? I will have to make up #’s I guess but I don’t know how to make up #’s lol any help you can give me is appreciated [/FONT]

FrankUSMC

Bubba
What I have been doing when I have a truck that has no markings. I find a friend that was a vet, that has a photo of a M37 that he was on or the driver of. I take that photo and make my truck the one in that photo. It is a great way to honor a friend.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I put my Vehicle markings on mine that I used in the Army stateside and in Iraq(same #'s on my M1114, M7BFIST,M998).
I know the story of them and can tell people when they ask. Or Franks idea is great if you wanted to do that. Good way to Honor Vets! -Jay

Attachments

Last edited:

bubba_got_you

Bubba
What I have been doing when I have a truck that has no markings. I find a friend that was a vet, that has a photo of a M37 that he was on or the driver of. I take that photo and make my truck the one in that photo. It is a great way to honor a friend.
i like it but the only vets i know where either infantry or air force. any vets on here want to put there #'s on my truck?

Bill W

Franks idea is great if you have a friend that served
My truck cab had been sandblasted before I got it so there was nothing to copy either so I used my birthday for my hood # but put a 2 in front of it as its the military symbol for 3/4ton then USC on the front bumper ( United States Citizen ) 4/59 ( birthday again ) and then M37/54 ( model/year) worked for me :)

Attachments

FrankUSMC

Back in 1983, I was restoringa 1943 Jeep. I had just met a Korean war Marine, who showed me his photo album from the Korean war. This guy was a grunt, on the front lines, his sister would send him cookies and camera film in cookie tins. He would send the used film back to her in the states in the same tins. When he came home from the war, she gave him the album. He looked at it, then walked out side and throw it in to the trash can. His sister, went behind him later that day and got the photo album out of the trash. He told me, he has always thanked his sister for doing that. She gave him the album again years later.
In the album is a great photo of him, sitting in a WWII jeep heading back to the front. I took that photo, made a copy of it, and made my 43 jeep the one in the photo. That was the first time I had done that, but not the last.
He rode in the jeep the first parade it was in. He did not make a big deal of it till after the parade. He told me that while he was following me to the parade in his car behind the WWII jeep with his unit markings on it......he became a 19 year old Marine again.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Frank , What a good story. I found pictures today at my grand parents old house of him during WW2 with his Jeep and driver,and of him throughout Europe. "When" someday I restore a MB , Its going to have his unit and the Jeeps name on it just like he painted it. Richard H Bennett was a WOJG with an AA unit in Europe, Earned the Bronze Star with V device during Battle of the Buldge. I hope again to make my grandads Jeep so my dad and I can show his story, like I do with my M37 and other vets during The Korean War.
This is what I enjoy most about the hobby - Jay