• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your HMMWV today/lately

ryanruck

Brings a question to mind. Any one replace the thin defrost/heater hose with something sturdier?
Yes, with this stuff when I upgraded to my MRAP heater and added rear heat.

I had some extra hose and decided to replace the defroster duct with it. Only problem is it is too big to use to upgrade the floor heater ducting which is, I believe, 1.5" hose. It was a pain to get it through some of the openings the original ducting is made for since it is such heavy rubber but, it will fit with some effort.

No need to ever worry about it rotting again.

General Hood

So.......I purchased a replacement front tie rod assembly. One tie rod end popped loose with minimal effort, but the other tie rod stud spins with the nut. GRRR, any suggestions?
Changing my handle to Lucky

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So.......I purchased a replacement front tie rod assembly. One tie rod end popped loose with minimal effort, but the other tie rod stud spins with the nut. GRRR, any suggestions?
Changing my handle to Lucky
AutoZone or oreilly in the loaner tools have a tie rod fork. That wedged tightly should tighten the ball socket enough to get the nut off or it will need to be cut off.

infidel got me

If it's on the spindle side -- put a floorjack under it( tie rod end) and put pressure on it. You should be able to zip it off with your air gun now. #2 cut the nut off with cutoff wheel/grinder.#3 flamewrench

I think the tie rod end bolts in from the top -- so the floorjack thing wont work. You could try a prybar on it/while appling air gun

Last edited:

General Hood

Tie rod assembly removed and replaced. I had a tie rod separator fork but no amount of pressure this old man could apply was adequate to keep the bolt from turning, so grinding wheel saved the day. On to the next task ( long list to go) Thank for the tips Gentlemen
IMG_20170716_122836586.jpgIMG_20170716_125505071.jpg

General Hood

Why did you have to replace it? Did the wheels wobble when driving?

McReddy
Upon inspection, the dust boot on one of the tie rods ends was partially missing, and there was "play" on that same tie rod end, so I replaced the entire assembly . The idler arm, pitman arm, and other steering components seem to be in good shape

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks