• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wheel bearing #'s help

Seth_O

So the races are the same. One brg is wider than the other but they use the same race?.
I just replaced a race today and was wondering myself what the difference is between the bearings that they have different part numbers but use the same race.

Also, I have read several posts on flipping hubs, and don't think I saw a single person mention how they moved their bearings as well? Obviously they are the same size (they use the same race) but there must be some reason one belongs on the inside and one on the outside?

bones1

On my truck, the outer bearing race is only worn in the center of the race and this is not correct. That made me think that someone before me had the bearings reversed because one is larger( thicker) than the other. The wear patterns just don't look right to me. There should be even wear across the width of the race to perform as intended.

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So the races are the same. One brg is wider than the other but they use the same race?.
YES
I just replaced a race today and was wondering myself what the difference is between the bearings that they have different part numbers but use the same race.
Bearing cones #3994 and #392 have nothing in common, except maybe the material and that they can run on the same race or cup #3920, as well as about 20 other different bearings....!
(Find the ones mentioned in the Timken products catalog, pages B108 and B116, respectively)
On my truck, the outer bearing race is only worn in the center of the race and this is not correct......
You mean there should be a bearing cone with the same I.D. as the #392 (2.4375") but with rollers the same width as the #3994 has? Well, there simply isn't such...

G.

Last edited:

area52

Anybody got pictures of said bearings/races? I am trying to wrap my noodle around the same race/different bearing thing.

edit: never mind, I should have looked in the link Doghead posted, DUHHHHH!!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks