• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who got the GP M-47 1790-7B Engines

Jayhawk#44

Time, space, and $$$, if only I had more of each!!!!

AV-1790-7B on GP

4 of them went for $10,$8, $6, and $4K ish. On GP a few weeks back.
Looks like they are M-47 take out engines rebuilt last in 1977. The $4K one looked the cleanest, perhaps newer installed after rebuild, but did have some visible corrosion on the Aluminum parts. The others looked like used takeouts. Containers said M47 so this seems like the most likely home for them.

super cool! Straight pipes out the top in a raggedy, rusted, blowed up MV based rat rod would be neat. Leno’s car is cool too. Best would be at home in a tank.

If you got one, I hope it’s a runner!

later,

Matt

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll never forget opening about 30 cans with AOS-895's in them looking for a good one. All had holes in the block. I learned long ago that the Army puts the bad engine back in the can when doing swaps. Wasted two days. The 895 goes in the Walker Bulldog and the Duster.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The local GSA was able to pull 2 of these units from DLA before GP got those 4 units. One does look "refreshed" and the other was clearly a victim of water intrusion. I hope they go to a good home. Talk about a dinosaur (that I want!)

311714_IMG_1828_IMAGE.jpg
311700_IMG_1817_IMAGE.jpg

Jayhawk#44

So many on GP in crates and cans that are obviously pulled core engines.
They sold a Detroit Diesel D15 the other day that looked factory fresh with ECUs and all. Less than $4K. Good thing I wasn’t watching. I might have done something stupid!!!!

Later,

Matt

Guyfang

Staff member
Sadly, these cans never seem to get closed right. The bolts and nuts never were tight, or many got lost for some reason. So water is a problem. The SSA's, Supply Support Activities were suposed to do a QAQC on the can before accepting them, but it was rarely done.

Our D424A turbine engine used the standard can, and we not only used RTV to seal them up, but insured ALL the bolts got torqued right, AND put nitrogen gas into the can to pressurize them. The engines cost $355,000 bucks, there were only 100 bought. 3-4 were totaled by water intrusion. I once got an "Overhauled" M813 engine in our Wheel shop, that when we opened the can, the water was up to the top of the bottom half of the can. Total loss. TAD, Tooele Army Depot was well known for that happening.

So many on GP in crates and cans that are obviously pulled core engines.

Naturally. No engine is a pluck and chuck. ALL engines are returned for repair, or disposal. Why disposal? When anything exceeded the MEL, Maintenance Expenditure Limits, then it gets scrapped. Each part, or assembly has a SMR code. The SMR code contains supply/requisitioning information, maintenance level authorization criteria, and disposition instructions. That tells you how to get the part. Who can get the part. Who can repair the part. Who can replace the part, and what happens to the part. Mostly Depot decides that an engine is non repairable and thats why you see them in GP. Scrap. Smart Maintenance CWO's and NCO's get to know the guys who do final inspections. Instead of ordering parts with long lead times, you take one off a canned motor, and put the non op part back on. Everyone is happy but depot!

eMGunslinger

Surprised I missed these. Usually when engines come up I catch them or people send me the listings. I've got about a dozen of these now but would of happily picked up a few more.

Jayhawk#44

Surprised I missed these. Usually when engines come up I catch them or people send me the listings. I've got about a dozen of these now but would of happily picked up a few more.
I contemplated posting them here to alert potential buyers. Because I knew I wasn’t buying. However, last time I did that for a couple of Generators that looked like runners on a less traveled Gov auction site I about got banned.

Since you have the market cornered on these, what it usually take to get these in reasonable running condition?

Later,

Matt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks