• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WTF!? Freeze plugs popping out.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just replaced head gasket/turbo/freeze plugs on the Multi.

Drove about 7 miles and a 2" freeze plug popped out. Replaced it and a 1" freeze plug popped out, about 12 miles down the road. Truck sat for 6 hours between drives. Truck didn't run hot or boil over.

I thought they fit okay, had to tap them in with a socket and hammer. Used some RTV sealer on them. Never had a problem with overheating or plugs leaking before.

HELP!?

JDToumanian

Well, it seems to me it can only be one of three things..... Wrong sealant (isn't there special stuff for this? Check Napa), too loose a fit (but I doubt it if there was a decent interference fit when you drove them in), or your radiator cap holds too much pressure (radiator shops or maybe even Napa can test it... IIRC it should be 7lbs)

Jon

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A light coat of #1 Permatex has been good to me. Did you do the freeze plugs and they came out after your repair?

Tackettr

My concern is your description on how you installed them "Tapped them in with a socket". I hope you followed up with "knocking the crap out of them in the center with a drift'??? :-D

I would say they were not installed correctly, especially if they popped out.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
ID 10 T error. :)
This coming from you after your last adventure? :doh:

If you knock the crap out of them, the freeze plug falls inside the block.

This happened after I replaced all the freeze plugs.

Going to napa and getting more plugs, and new radiator cap. The ones from advance auto seemed a little loose. Going to add some locktite to them also.

Dennis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Would this be in the M108? I have issues with discount type parts houses. I rather not go there at all unless its for name brand stuff like oil. I had never heard of sealant on freeze plugs until Aberdeen a few years back when Clinto and I did a freeze plug in mangus truck and Clinto put some on! Granted I've only ever built a handful of engines over the years!

jwaller

try cleaning the hole very good and not using anything on the freeze plug. thats the way their supposed to be installed unless you have damage to the hole.

JasonS

Assuming that these are the "cup" type of freeze plugs... If you had to tap them in with a hammer/ socket, I doubt that the sealer influenced their falling out. If you have persistent problems, Loctite makes a product designed to retain bearings to shafts, etc. I have read that this is also recommended for freeze plugs.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Would this be in the M108? I have issues with discount type parts houses. I rather not go there at all unless its for name brand stuff like oil. I had never heard of sealant on freeze plugs until Aberdeen a few years back when Clinto and I did a freeze plug in mangus truck and Clinto put some on! Granted I've only ever built a handful of engines over the years!
I have built at least a dozen engines and I think I have used sealer on 3/4 of the freeze plugs I have installed without issue.

When I was 15 and building my first engine (the small block Chevy in my Father's Chevelle) I must have read a dozen books about engine building & there seemed to be no consensus in regards to sealer. Half of them said to use it, half said there was no need. I figured if no one was screaming about it being terrible that it couldn't hurt. Hasn't burned me yet.

Since cooling systems are under such low pressure, I suspect most any freeze plug that is a halfway decent fit shouldn't leak. I suppose some flaws in the bore or a cheap/not quite perfectly shaped {oval} plug could be corrected by sealer and that's why I have always used it.

All that being said, I'd defer to Jwaller's judgement in this case. He's built a lot more engines than I have.

B3.3T

I only replace them with bolt-in racing types. Never have a problem again. You can get them from Summit.

jwaller

I only replace them with bolt-in racing types. Never have a problem again. You can get them from Summit.

These are nice and I've used them on occasion but I had 2 racing trucks engines get saved this past winter when their freeze plugs popped out after very cold nights.

I also have not seen any consensus on weather or not to use sealer but my suggestion is that you've already tried it with sealer and it didn't work so now you might try it without. or you could also use bolt in freeze plug heaters.

drewmech

I've always used sealer (permatex) on the small blok chevy's I've built and never had an issue. I also put them in the freezer for a bit to get them to shrink up so they sit alittle easier. Let everything warm up after install and call it done.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you confirmed that your overflow tube is not plugged?

Maybe, you could install a temporary pressure gauge in the system, just to see if you have a problem.