• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

‘72 M35A2 w/ front locking hubs dismantle.

Dasgog

Hello

I’ve never taken the wheels, hubs or anything off of my vehicle yet and am going to do so replacing every seal from hub to axle, brake lines and all of it.
But it occurred to me the prior owner had custom (as in not stock) locking hubs put in. Does this change the way I dismantle everything? Where does the “lock” part end? Does it mean from hub to axle it’s all different than stock?
I have become nervous all of a sudden to even loosen one bolt.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been in your shoes a few times and how I do it to make sure I have a TM pertaining to what I am working on and me cell phone camera. Take your time in disassembly and do one side at a time when you get to the point of removing the locking portion just pull it apart slowly and keep and eye out for dropping pieces, take pics of everything to help in reassembly. It a fairly simple process what the lockers are doing it shouldn't be very complicated. Another thing would be to find out who made the lockers and see if they have a manual for their parts on your truck and get that also and review it prior to doing your work!

Dipstick

I installed Ouverson hubs on my Deuce. If your locking hubs are anything like mine they require no special techniques to install or remove. My hubs use Allen head bolts. Once you remove those bolts the hubs will come right off in your hands. Installation is the reverse. Just make sure you have the seal ( in my case an O-ring ) in place when you install it. The actual locking and unlocking occurs in the hub itself. It is a self-contained unit. It's kind of like a dog clutch sort of. My Ouverson hubs work flawlessly even in frigid weather. I believe the spec calls for 90 ft-lbs of torque. Don't be nervous about removing them. It's probably the easiest thing you can do on a Deuce.

tobyS

I don't have one on an m35 but I do on an F600. They come off in one piece and you can see how the spline engages or disengages. It's not much different than taking off the splined cap.

Dipstick

In these photos ( especially the one before I painted them recently ) you can see the Allen head bolts you'll have to remove. IMG_0110.jpgHubs Painted.jpg

Dipstick

I don't have one on an m35 but I do on an F600. They come off in one piece and you can see how the spline engages or disengages. It's not much different than taking off the splined cap.
Yup. It's exactly like taking off the splined cap. The reverse is true for installation. I usually put both hubs in "unlocked" before I remove or install them. They are internally splined to slip over the stub drive axle splines.

Dipstick

Sorry to post so much but, nothing will drop out of the locking hubs when you remove them. All of the internal parts are held in place by a whomping big internal snap ring if my memory serves me.

m715mike

@Dasgog - If you haven’t seen them yet, these threads may be helpful. They don’t address your locking hub question, but the are good resources nonetheless.

Front axle seals and boots stepXstep
Well, here it goes. Lot's of pictures to post and lot's of info to remember while I type it up. After I brought my truck home I noticed the inner clamps on both front steering knuckle boots had come loose and the bottom of the boots was full of fluid. So my plan was to replace the inner axle...
www.steelsoldiers.com

Deuce Power Bleeder R4x4 Style
Gang, here are 2 pics of my bleeder. You can see that the tank line has a ball valve and a quick coupler from an air line. It then connects to a second hose that has a tee and a 6" nipple that screws into the MC cap. There's a plug in the top of the tee but eventually it will have a pressure...
www.steelsoldiers.com

Also, the last time I took an axel apart, I had the break drums turned at NAPA. It was cheap and, in my opinion, helped with the break adjustments.

Dipstick

@Dasgog - If you haven’t seen them yet, these threads may be helpful. They don’t address your locking hub question, but the are good resources nonetheless.

Front axle seals and boots stepXstep
Well, here it goes. Lot's of pictures to post and lot's of info to remember while I type it up. After I brought my truck home I noticed the inner clamps on both front steering knuckle boots had come loose and the bottom of the boots was full of fluid. So my plan was to replace the inner axle...
www.steelsoldiers.com

Deuce Power Bleeder R4x4 Style
Gang, here are 2 pics of my bleeder. You can see that the tank line has a ball valve and a quick coupler from an air line. It then connects to a second hose that has a tee and a 6" nipple that screws into the MC cap. There's a plug in the top of the tee but eventually it will have a pressure...
www.steelsoldiers.com

Also, the last time I took an axel apart, I had the break drums turned at NAPA. It was cheap and, in my opinion, helped with the break adjustments.
Mike, ttat was a great post! I replaced my inner seals last Summer. It went well, but I wished I'd found your post before I did it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks