• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

0-80 electronic speedometer in a mechanical hmmwv

erasedhammer

Anyone know if it is possible to put in a electronic 0-80 speedo in place of the standard mechanical 0-60 one without replacing the mechanical sender? I heard that you need to take replace the sender and wiring to use the newer 0-80 one. Aren't there adapters that exist ?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think someone just posted this same question in the last few weeks.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was curious myself from earlier threads on it and could not find it in the earlier TM's posted here.

The electro speedo parts and harness are located in TB 9-2320-335-13&P which I uploaded to the tm's. It is a fat file 18mb

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...d-maintenance-and-parts&p=1959151#post1959151

Check out E-132 for pic and E-133 for parts breakout.

Please share if you find a source for these critters.

erasedhammer

The electronic speedo requires the signal generator be installed in the tcase in lieu of the mechanical one.
not hard to do...
Yes I realize, I was just wondering if anyone made adapters to take the mechanical signal and feed it to the electronic speedo.

If there is such a thing, it would be even easier than converting the whole system over.

Stevepsc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope...you need the signal generator. I am changing out my drivetrain to turbo and 4 speed. Lucky for me, the new driveline has the proper sender. If you look at the thread above you will see that 86humv has the senders. Good luck.

erasedhammer

Nope...you need the signal generator. I am changing out my drivetrain to turbo and 4 speed. Lucky for me, the new driveline has the proper sender. If you look at the thread above you will see that 86humv has the senders. Good luck.
And these senders are on the t/c right?

Action

yes, they are in the same place the mechanical senders are. Why would someone want to just buy the correct part? It isn't that expensive. The electronic sender has a wire sheath over it.

erasedhammer

Any idea of the pulses per mile?? I know there are several different signal generators available that screw right onto the mechanical cable connection.
Woah there are different signal generators?
I thought there was only one.
My current electric speedo doesn't work even though the speedo itself is new. I thought my sender was broken but it may be the wrong one now.

Bowtie70SS

Woah there are different signal generators?
I thought there was only one.
My current electric speedo doesn't work even though the speedo itself is new. I thought my sender was broken but it may be the wrong one now.
Sorry, there is one correct one that would have been original to the HMMWV. I was trying to come up with one that will screw onto where the original cable was. There are some on ebay with wiring harness for under 50 bucks. The correct HMMWV sender is close to 100 bucks and good luck finding the harness.

erasedhammer

Sorry, there is one correct one that would have been original to the HMMWV. I was trying to come up with one that will screw onto where the original cable was. There are some on ebay with wiring harness for under 50 bucks. The correct HMMWV sender is close to 100 bucks and good luck finding the harness.
Yeah I got the harness and speedo new from kascar.

There's only one sending unit yes, and that one screws directly into where the cable screwed into on the t case

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah I got the harness and speedo new from kascar.

There's only one sending unit yes, and that one screws directly into where the cable screwed into on the t case
There's only one type on a hmmwv, and you have to remove the 90 deg. adapter and put sender in where 90 deg. adapt. was.
Also there are 2 ea. Y harnesses needed along with the main harness.

erasedhammer

There's only one type on a hmmwv, and you have to remove the 90 deg. adapter and put sender in where 90 deg. adapt. was.
Also there are 2 ea. Y harnesses needed along with the main harness.
The sender you sent me won't plug into my t case without the 90 degree adapter.
If I try to plug it direct in they dont match, it's a male to male mate which won't work.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The sender you sent me won't plug into my t case without the 90 degree adapter.
If I try to plug it direct in they dont match, it's a male to male mate which won't work.
Wrong....I sent you a 12480922 sender which directly screws into a 12339963 T/C adapter [ both shown in photo ]
The 90 deg. adapter is removed from the 12339963 and the sender takes its place.
DSC_0018speedo.JPG

Action

What's that small object to the left of the sender?
That is what the sender screws onto. The piece on left is held into t/c with a y bracket. The 90 degree piece will not be reused. If you pull the piece out of the t/c, you will need to get the tm out to see how to put it back in the correct position. This is also where you change gears for different diffs to get correct speed reading.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks