• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

002a

dangier

Picked up another 002a at this month's GL sale at Ft. Meade. It is a reset unit from WVNG. Has 163 hours showing and is tagged as reset at 163 hours. Looks like it was repainted and has a new wiring bundle out of the control panel. Engine is dirty under the access covers. Wonder how much of the reset was actually done.

Ip has a broken guide and I will be contacting Ambac on monday to order another one with a gasket kit. In taking the ip apart, someone has applied locktite to every bolt and screw they could. Ended up taking the ip hydraulic head bolts off with an impact wrench after I broke my best allen wrench...... GRRR.

David

Last edited:

johnray13

Very frustrating I know. Loctite does let go when heated to about 500°. Those pencil torches are awesome.

I've been eyeballing a couple units at Ft Meade too. How was your pick up experience?

dangier

Coming from 3 hours away, the pickup experience was good once I found the right building on Ft. Meade. Someone picking up materials has to go to building #77, go through the parking lot to the small building behind it. Once I found Justin, he jumped on the loader and said "follow me". Had the unit in 2 minutes. Great experience!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm working on getting him some parts. The "plunger guide" is what we call the "drive washer" that always seem to crack.

dangier

When I took the ip off the block, I could not feel any shims and thought here is one that does not need them. This afternoon, I looked closely and there are three shims glued to the block with a red sealant (red locktite or leaklock). Took 1/2 hour of prying and soaking with laquer thinner to remove them. They must have used a full tube on this 002a.
Makes you wonder sometimes....

dangier

Yea, I can see that (having spent 4 years in the military). There is a slight wear pattern on the camshaft gear driving the ip about at 1/2 tooth depth. Looking at the shims, there was a layer of the red hardened goop on each shim. I'll bet the additional shim pack height moved the gear engagement out some. Didn't see the wear pattern until I had cleaned up the shims. Hope they go back to factory spec on installation.

o1951

Yea, I can see that (having spent 4 years in the military). There is a slight wear pattern on the camshaft gear driving the ip about at 1/2 tooth depth. Looking at the shims, there was a layer of the red hardened goop on each shim. I'll bet the additional shim pack height moved the gear engagement out some. Didn't see the wear pattern until I had cleaned up the shims. Hope they go back to factory spec on installation.
If the PM's don't say how to adjust, you should be able to get a good idea by measuring. A few times, when I could not directly measure tooth engagement, I put heavy grease or soft wax on the gear and figured tooth engagement by what had not been pushed out of the teeth by the opposing gear.

dangier

I had something in mind like that. Looking at a soft wax or the small styrofoam crack sealer that won't stick to both gears and alter the image when the gears are pulled apart like soft grease. Going to read the tm's, but I would imagine that the gears need full engagement without bottoming out.
Thanks

LuckyDog

I'm working on getting him some parts. The "plunger guide" is what we call the "drive washer" that always seem to crack.
They always seem to crack because they are designed too.

After seeing pictures of the old style IP plunger and new style IP plunger, I can see why. Nice little safety feature and a cheap repair considering the machining tolerances for the plunger and hydrualic head combination.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks