• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

003 shut down, low oil pressure diag procedure?

amolaver

lost power last night & gen fired right up. ran all night & this morning, but about an hour ago it shut down. i was working in the garage - around the corner from the gen - when it shut down. sounded like a totally normal shutdown - no bad noises. walked over to it & it smells hot, but i'm not familiar enough with it to know if it is too hot - no other air cooled diesel experience.. oil level looks good, but very low pressure if i crank it..

given it appears utility power will be down for at least a couple of days, and its over 100, and we are on a well, i'd really like to get the mep running again. is there a diag procedure for low oil pressure? could someone transcribe it from the tm or scan & email to me?

ahm

Isaac-1

Are you running too thin of oil? (what weight oil are you using?)

Also does it try to start when you crank it?

Last edited:

amolaver

Are you running too thin of oil? (what weight oil are you using?)
rotella or delo 15w40.

update - after cooling off it has refired. i put a big fan in front of blower to try & push some more air through & cut off loads in the house - brought loadmeter down from 80 to 40.. its 100 out - i can live w/o hot water :)

no idea why oil pressure was so low cranking, but at least it appears to not be a catastrophic motor failure!

i'll keep load as light as i can - ac, well pump, fridge - and hope its enough..

ahm

amolaver

Are the exhaust louvers opening, and do you have the intake lever by the air filter set for warm or cold?

Ike
exhaust louvers def open, not familiar with intake lever - where is that?

think i found the intake lever - little knob on intake side of filter canister - down or up for hot weather operation?

ahm

Last edited:

Isaac-1

I am not sure (I am away from home, out of the country at the moment), for warm weather you want it so hot air is not sucked in. You should be able to look at it and see when it is closing off the hot air side.

Ike

amolaver

I am not sure (I am away from home, out of the country at the moment), for warm weather you want it so hot air is not sucked in. You should be able to look at it and see when it is closing off the hot air side.

Ike
pretty sure it was in cold weather mode - knob up in its groove. switched it down which i think blocks the hot air intake. many thanks for that - didnt realize what that knob did.

if anyone can confirm knob up for cold weather, down for hot i'd appreciate it.

thanks again for the quick help ike!!

ahm

amolaver

You are correct:

Horizontal knob = warm/normal weather

Vertical knob = cold weather
great - thanks!!!

i can't explain the low oil cranking pressure, but its rock solid at abt 32 on the gauge running now, even in this heat. big relief :)

ahm

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks