• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

003a conversion to sx460 avr

Hello and how are you all doing today. Planning on dedicating more time to getting my 003a making power again , however im interested in changing it to an sx460 avr.
This unit i had written about before and still never was able to repair it.
I had a bad alternator (ac ) and bought a good t/o unit. Still wouldnt make power. Then i did the 12v battery to TB 3-5 and TB 3-6. Started making power. ( okay, thats good ) so, its not the rotating diodes, maybe the transformer, maybe bridge rectifier ?
At this point id like to "civilize" the unit. Id like to change out the avr to the sx460 and eliminate all the extra garb in there.
I would also like to add a momentary push button for field flash. Would that eliminate a feedback problem as others have written about ?
Any help would be appreciated, thanks metalworker393

You can upgrade to the aftermarket VR that is made by one of the members here. That would be the a simpler solution that would also increase reliability.

Thanks for the reply Diesel Addict, but i do not believe its my vr. I replaced that with a good take out one to no avail. My machine would still not make power.
Unless, the one that triple jim makes bypasses the other components like the bridge rectifier, cvt1 etc ?
If thats the case , i would buy one. Then i would strip out everything else i dont need in the distribution box .
Thanks metalworker393

Chainbreaker

I know SS member "Rustystud" did the SX460 AVR conversion on his MEP-002/-003. Here is a brief thread showing some of the wiring inside the gutted AC Distribution Output Control Box and some discussion on field flashing requirements. There might be more posts elsewhere if you do some thread searching.

Yes chainbreaker , i have been skimming through rusty studs post on his modification.
I was also read through Craig Tull's post as well. Seems that the sx 460 should function fine without the flash option according to craigs post.
I would like to strip all of the extra stuff out of the distribution box that i can, but do want to retain the main breaker and the connection lugs.
So, i can remove CT1, CVT1, ,A4 board, and rotary switch. I have no intension of using 3 phase, so i could terminate those in the distribution box ? Looks like craig connected those leads together out of the generator head.
Have to read through that post again to see which leads are connected together and which he used for the 240v single phase arrangement.
Thanks , metalworker393

Okay so i was looking through craigs post again. Not real electrical savvy so tell me if im reading his schematic correctly on which wires he used for the 240v configuration.
T8 & T10 T2 &T4 are for 3 phase, capped , not used.
For single phase he did this
T11 and T3
T7 and T6
T5 and T9
T1 and T12
Am i correct with this ? If not, can i get the correct arrangement ?
Thanks, metalworker393

Chainbreaker

There was a PDF attachment to his thread that included exact wire numbers that he connected to a Terminal Block not sure if that has the info you are looking for though. I really haven't dove into this mod myself so really can't verify his work, but its still on my list of future reliability modifications.

Perhaps you should resurrect Rusty's old thread with your questions and he might jump in...or PM him directly. Haven't seen him in the Generator forum in a while...apparently his reliability mods are working quite well! However, I have noticed he posts elsewhere in SS. So he's still frequents the SS website now & then.

I was looking at Rustys post on his mod. He states he used an " sw460 " avr. I could not find a sw460 avr for sale but what sx460 would work.
I am also guessing that I could use a connection box from an 002 machine as most everything will be removed ? ( planning on installing on an 003a machine )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks