• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1/2" locknuts

jesusgatos

I'm in the middle of swapping an air-shift transfer-case into Mah Deuce right now, and I just went down to Fastenal to buy some new 1/2" x 20TPI lock-nuts for all the transfer-case mounts and the driveshafts. $2.50 each!?! Wow. Where are you guys buying these, and how much are you paying for them? At those prices, I'll have to just reuse them and apply some loctite. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it, but I was halfway thinking about trying to swage the tops of the nuts. Bad idea?

Verkstad

I would not swage the nuts yourself unless you NEVER expect to open it up again.
And my opinion Fastenall is high priced anyway...

Good luck,
Jakob

AaronW

Regular hardware stores that I sell these to retail them for about $1.40 ea all day long. And that is a non-bulk price. Fastenal does not want your business!

jimm1009

I hate to say it but I have used Fastenall twice in the last few months and feel like I got "sexed" without my permission.
I recommend McMaster Carr in addition to the above mentioned suppliers.
Aviation Supply houses will also have them but the price with be at the Fastenal Price or a little higher due to being traceable mil-spec content.
I use a local wholesale company here in the Lafayette, Louisiana and the nuts are a little less than a dollar which is too high but when you need it, you need it.
I can get their number if needed but then you have to add shippping into the mix.

I always use grade 8 or better as it is not that much more than grade 3 or 5 and there will be no worries about the hardware that I have installed in previous repairs. [thumbzup]

jimm1009

ODdave

when i bought new nuts for my wheels on my deuce ( 96 total ) i got price quotes from 2 different FASTENALL stores 30 min apart (each side of town) the first store was $80, the second store was $35.............WTF? definatly do some searching, belive it or not, i buy a lot of pre-packaged bulk nuts & bolts from Menards, they actualy have reasonable prices.

Lex_Ordo

I agree with Jimm1009.
McMaster-Carr, is going to be your best source for hardware. Quick Shipping too. What I could not find from my hardware guy, I bought from McMaster-Carr, in stainless steel.

A lot of the hardware the military uses is Grade 5 Yellow Chromate.

If you buy Grade 5 commercially, it comes in silver zinc plate. Only Grade 8 is available in the yellow zinc chromate finish commercially.

Infasco brand, is a very large company that supplies the military. Infasco, has a triangle on the top of the Hex Head Cap Screw. Grade 5 is an outline of the triangle, Grade 8 has a solid traingle. If you're lucky, you might find someone close who carries Infasco. I found a guy who works out of his house, and contacted him.
I needed to replace some rusted grade 5 Infasco hex head cap screws on my trailer, and he had the correct screws as per the drawing. Length/ thread/ diameter/ grade.

For my duece, I simply replaced with Grade 8. Easier to get in the Yellow Chromate.

There are also two other companies I've seen. One is Lake Erie, and has two letters ' LE ' on the hex head.
The other has a letter ' U ' on the hex head, but I can't find the manufacturer.
They also provide the military with hardware.

dabtl

I use either McMaster-Carr or Grainger for hardware. Both are super companies to work with and carry a vast line of hardware.

bmac6026

I 've been selling fasteners here in the Houston area for over 20yrs and like Lex_Ordo said ,Grade 5 is normally bright zinc coated and Gr.8 is yellow zinc.
Infasco (North American co.) has the "triangle " head markings and Nucor another American company has the "u" ,both of the best bolt mfgs out there.
There are a lot of different locknuts out there but the one we sell with Gr.8 bolts
is a Grade C (All metal), we sell all day long for .29 cents each ,so if you can try the mom and pop places first ,you can save a lot of money

Brian

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks