• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1 ton load in a M101A2

Kasper31

I agree with what has been said, however I think that the limiting factor is the capability of the tires that are on your rig. I would watch the tire load closely. I've had 2 yrds of gravel on mine and had no problems. Good luck with yours.

MarcusOReallyus

I spent a day last spring loading 50 bags of mulch (@ 60 pounds each, total 3000 pounds) on mine, towing anywhere from 5 to 50 miles, then coming back for another load just like it.

No problems. It wasn't sagging at all.

bookpile

Sounds like the M101 would have worked fine for me but I solved the problem by winning a M1101 last week. I should be in business!

Pagan

With tires in good condition and properly maintained bearings, the folks who contributed above are absolutely right. The only thing that gives me pause is you will want to take it easy with that light tow vehicle. With the tow vehicle empty, and especially if the weight is oriented towards the rear of the trailer, that setup will try to jacknife on you if you have to make a panic stop. Saw it happen. The trailer is definitely capable of handling the load. Good piece of equipment.

bookpile

I'm not sure what you mean about the light weight tow vehicle. Do you mean that my truck will be able to stop quicker than an original HMMWV and that's where the problem will come in?

FWIW it looks like my truck weighs roughly the same if not more as the M998 that these were designed for.

Pagan

Most of the weight is in the front of the truck, of course. In a quick stop situation, the weight in the trailer wants to keep going, and will press against the tow vehicle. If the tow vehicle is light in the rear, the trailer, if the majority of the tongue weight is not forward of the axle, will take advantage any way it can, in this case it will sometimes lift the rear of the tow vehicle somewhat. This lessens the rear tires' grip on the road surface. If you are really having a bad day, the trailer will then push the rear of the tow vehicle to one side or the other, causing a jackknife situation. Envision a '67 Ford 1/2 ton with a full service body like a contact maintainance vehicle, pulling an M101 (properly proportioned load) with a load of firebrick in it. Little old lady jams on the brakes for a squirrel. Driver of tow vehicle hits brakes, trailer jackknifes. With the utility body, this truck has significantly more rear axle weight than a regular pickup. Still jackknifed. Towing driver reacted well. Had just enough room to go around LOL, let off the brakes, jammed on the gas, and straightened out the trailer. Went to find a restroom to "compose himself." LOL oblivious of these events. Best to have some load in the tow vehicle. You will do fine-you have good equipment. What I am looking for is some kind of a kit that will allow me to tow an M105 behind my crew cab dually 1 ton. Anybody heard of such a device? Pagan