• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1 Ton M1009

Zukini

Hey Guys, I'm a newb to posting but have been doing alot of reading the past few days. I am looking for a project to spend a little time on and what I'm currently thinking is to pick up either a M1028 or a M1008 and a M1009 at govliq. My plans are to swap the axles in the M1009 from the 6 lug 44 to the 8 lug 60. I guess my question right now is has anyone else done this before? Any tips you can pass along would be greatly appreciated. I haven't found the two trucks yet but hope to within the month.

hobie237

Swapping 3/4 or 1-ton axles onto half-ton trucks, whether a Blazer or pickup, is a pretty common modification in the offroad community. Try www.coloradok5.com.

It may be cheaper to just buy the components in the regular market, rather than going through GL.

Zukini

I have been keeping an eye on a M1008 that is in non running shape and is missing a door that would basically be a parts truck. The 6.2 in it has 26,000 miles but the truck is in bad shape. I'm hoping to score it for under $400 and then a decent M1009 for under $1500. A buddy of mine bought a M1009 in great shape 2 weeks ago for $1,200 off govliq. A set of 60's these days will run you around $1000 on any off road site. It may be wishful thinking but I'm going to give it a shot.:cool:

hobie237

So if you already know what you're going to do, what is the question?

There are advantages to going through GL- like the fact that the pickups have 14 bolt full floaters with Detroit Lockers. And the fact that the trucks *usually* aren't all rusted out- although sometimes they are. But there are plenty of disadvantages as well, cost being one. Around here a 1028 with only ~30,000 miles went for over $2000 a while back- it was leaking about every fluid that it could leak, and had extensive salt rust (it was a plow truck).

Anyway, check out CK5 for info about doing swaps like this. It's all pretty well documented.

Edit- why do you want "a pair of 60s"? You do realize that the 14 bolt is superior to the D60 in about every way, right?

Edit2: Here's a guy selling a rebuilt 14 bolt with a Detroit (out of a CUCV no less) for $500 OBO: http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247468

Last edited:

colomil

I put a 14 bolt rear from a 3/4 ton truck and a dana 44 8 lug front. The 3/4 ton rear has the correct spring pad width so all I needed was some larger u-bolts and a different driveshaft. The front was a direct bolt-in but if I used a D60 I might have to shorten the driveshaft. I spent under $300 on the axle swap. If I went with a 60 front it would have cost $700 more. The m1008's I see coming out of GL with decent axles are too expensive (~$1500) because everyone around here is in love with the dana 60 front. Once you pull the axles out of a k30/m1008, you now have 5000lbs of scrap that will be tough to get much for.

If money is no object and you plan on running huge tires, by all means go for the M1008 axles. Keep in mind the stock gears in the M1008 are 4.56 and will really reduce your top speed if stock tires are used.

Also look on gsaauctions.gov for the M1008/9 trucks. They show up there from time to time and do not require the End Use Certificate hassle that DRMO/GL does.

AJMBLAZER

For the record the M1009 has GM Corporate 10 bolt axles and the M1008/1028 SRW trucks have D60 front and Corp 14 bolt FF rear axles.

Zukini

I would like to hear if guys that have done this before ran into any issues. I am expecting it to be a pretty simple swap. I am building a woods/crawler truck so the high gear ratio is what I am looking for to turn 40-42" tires. I am looking for the 60/14 combo to replace the 44/10 that comes in the M1009's.

AJMBLAZER

The front and rear axles in M1009's are both 10 bolts...again for the record.

The only difficulty you should have other than any normal 1 ton swap under a Blazer is that most folks find 3/4 ton 14FF's to use. They have the shock mounts and spring pads in the correct location that the 1/2 ton stuff bolts right up. The 1008 and 1028 are 1 ton trucks and the spring pads and shock mounts are in different places compared to the half and 3/4 ton trucks. These will have to be cut off and new ones mounted onto the correct locations for the half ton springs and shocks.

Otherwise should be as colomil says.

Oh, brakes might require you to swap the 1008/1028 master cylinder in as these 14FF's have BIG rear drums. Either that or do a disc brake and you'd be swapping stuff anyways.

colomil

Well if you are planning to run 40+ inch tires, I would say go for the D60 (or 2.5 ton rockwells). I assume a lift is involved for tires that size and I would recommend putting on a crossover steering kit to eliminate bump-steer.

The 6.2 is a pretty gutless engine and I don't know how well it would spin 40" tires. Low gears help but when you need to spin the tires fast (mud) the 6.2 will probably not have the required power.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I might add that finding a rolling M1008 or M1028 from GL for $400 will be tough. They rarely sell a rolling truck for under a grand!

I too am planning on swapping the 1008 axles into a 1009, along with the necessary lift and steering modifications for larger tires. I'll throw in a 6.5 turbo engine if I can find one. It's a long-term project, waiting on funds and shop space.

Zukini

Thanks for the replies guys!! It is going to be a slow process I'm sure. I work at a steel fabrication shop so relocating the spring perches and shortening the drive shaft is no big deal. I put dana 60's under a Toyota Tacoma a couple years ago so I had to do alot of modifying there. I have been curious about the 6.2. Read alot of good and bad opinions on it. With the right gearing it should turn 40's good enough. This truck will probably see little to no pavement time. I am excited about the project and hope to be posting build pics soon. Believe it or not a very clean M1009 with 6,500 miles sold for $875 last week on govliq. I was going to bid but got sent out of town for work and the auction ended while I was gone.

jkade72

never saw one sell that cheap, not on that website

There were several that sold the other day for less than $800 @ Redstone:cry: I paid $1100 for my 1008 and it was a parts truck and well worth it. Heck there was a bunch of 6x6 that sold for less than $500 I don't think we will see many more sell that cheap and I should have bought 2 or 3 1008's but I hated to tie up my money not knowing if I could resell them anytime soon.