• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1-wheel vs 2-wheel landing gear

DaneGer21

Just starting to dabble into some trailers. I picked up a m105a2 trailer last week and it’s landing gear has 2-wheels. I’m looking to go pick up another m105 and the pictures only show a 1-wheel landing gear.

Is it because of a design/year change? Just curious.

Thanks

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Just starting to dabble into some trailers. I picked up a m105a2 trailer last week and it’s landing gear has 2-wheels. I’m looking to go pick up another m105 and the pictures only show a 1-wheel landing gear.

Is it because of a design/year change? Just curious.

Thanks
The dual wheel landing gear is a later thing, it cranks up and down in addition to folding up, while the large single wheel only folds up and down.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crank up landing gear is needed if you don't want hooking up to a trailer to be a three person job...a driver and two guys lifting and man-handling the trailer. Even with the crank up landing gear, I find a second person to be very helpful if I don't want to make hooking up a lengthy process (multiple times in and out of the cab to see where I am).

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1 wheel or 2, use lots of lube and anti-seize to make your life easier.
No such thing as too much.

On my M149A1-2 water trailer, the large single wheel Jack was initially a pain to pull up into the stowed position.
It was straight and would roll fine, but wouldn’t turn side to side.
Typical for this design.

An afternoon applying heat and force finally got things free.
Lots of anti seize and lube later, it now remains free and I can pull it up into the stowed position without risk of back injury.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double wheel with the crank is vastly superior and your back will thank you over and over....

Put a want ad in the classifieds and check ebay

Many trailers are civy converted to smaller axles and tires. Parts are sometimes very reasonable for the m103,m105,m107,m149 and others use the same mount for landing gear.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone with a 1-1/2 trailer needs a Highlift jack. That and working trailer handbrakes make the solo job bunches easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks