• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10' Cabover camper on a M1078

DARKOP

Good morning, I am interested in the possibility of placing my 10' Arctic Fox cabover truck camper on the back of a M1078 LMTV. Could someone give me the hight measurement from the flat bed to the max hight of the rear of the cab when tilted forward. I'm trying to figure out how high I would need to make a rack to lift the camper up and over the cab so that it will clear the cab, then figure out my total maximum hight overall.

I searched but could not find a thread on this in the past.

Thanks in advance,
Darkop

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While on a road or highway you can only be 13-6 high your bed floor is roughly 5 ft tall so 8ft 6 in which just because you can be 13-6 yu would be so top heavy to do so and if you plan to ever leave the blacktop you really dont need to get over 11 or 12 ft depending how you place your heavy stuff in your camper try to keep heavy stuff low and try to balance the weight 4oo lbs of stuff on drivers side the put 400 lbs oposite on passenger side hope that helps Hell i misunderstood the question im pretty sure it wouldnt be over 11 ft at highest point

Last edited:

DARKOP

While on a road or highway you can only be 13-6 high your bed floor is roughly 5 ft tall so 8ft 6 in which just because you can be 13-6 yu would be so top heavy to do so and if you plan to ever leave the blacktop you really dont need to get over 11 or 12 ft depending how you place your heavy stuff in your camper try to keep heavy stuff low and try to balance the weight 4oo lbs of stuff on drivers side the put 400 lbs oposite on passenger side hope that helps Hell i misunderstood the question im pretty sure it wouldnt be over 11 ft at highest point
I wan't too clear in my question. My camper is 9.0' with the AC unit on top, so that would put me at about 14.0'. I'm still wondering how tall the M1078 cab is at max hight during tilt? (To clear the underside of the cabover bed area.

What is max hight of an M1079 box on the truck? is it 11.5'?

Thanks for the reply Chucky!

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How long is your camper's cabover section? According to the internet, the M1078 bed is 12' 9" long. You could potentially get away with mounting the camper a bit astern of the end of the bed to gain the clearance at the cab.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wan't too clear in my question. My camper is 9.0' with the AC unit on top, so that would put me at about 14.0'. I'm still wondering how tall the M1078 cab is at max hight during tilt? (To clear the underside of the cabover bed area.

Yea a 1079 is 11ft 6in and if your going to leave the spare tire where its at your going to have to measure how far from front of camper at bed heighth back to the section sitting on the truck bed and is it tall enough to get over the spare tire when its at its tallest heighth when being lifted to the ground so you may be better to back the whole camper toward the back of the bed and im assumeing the camper is on wheels now so its going to get shorter than 9 ft because if not you can scrap that idea Way to tall

DARKOP

How long is your camper's cabover section? According to the internet, the M1078 bed is 12' 9" long. You could potentially get away with mounting the camper a bit astern of the end of the bed to gain the clearance at the cab.
The cabover section is 7.0' and the footprint of the main body is 10 ' so 17.0 overall.

DARKOP

Yea a 1079 is 11ft 6in and if your going to leave the spare tire where its at your going to have to measure how far from front of camper at bed heighth back to the section sitting on the truck bed and is it tall enough to get over the spare tire when its at its tallest heighth when being lifted to the ground so you may be better to back the whole camper toward the back of the bed and im assumeing the camper is on wheels now so its going to get shorter than 9 ft because if not you can scrap that idea Way to tall
the camper isn't on wheels. I was going to build a "Rack out of angle iron and design it with fork pockets so I could load and remove with a loader with forks. I was going to design the rack to the correct hight for the trucks cab to clear when tilted but sounds like it would be way to high. I really like my camper and was trying to think of a way to use it and not have to build a whole new "Habitat"

I may look into a M1079 and build the box out. Its just a Little to small inside with the sleeping bed in the box and not in a cabover design. I'll keep thinking on this. Thanks for the info and replies, I appreciate them!

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the camper isn't on wheels. I was going to build a "Rack out of angle iron and design it with fork pockets so I could load and remove with a loader with forks. I was going to design the rack to the correct hight for the trucks cab to clear when tilted but sounds like it would be way to high. I really like my camper and was trying to think of a way to use it and not have to build a whole new "Habitat"

I may look into a M1079 and build the box out. Its just a Little to small inside with the sleeping bed in the box and not in a cabover design. I'll keep thinking on this. Thanks for the info and replies, I appreciate them!
Put it on a low trailer and all your toys on the bed of the truck

DARKOP

Does anyone have a video or link to a video from the side of the vehicle of raising the cab on a M1078 or M1079. with the cab hinge point so far forward I'm interested in the geometry of raising the cab.

I'm pretty sure if I remove the bed from the vehicle and build my own sub frame I can reduce the hight of the camper, although that doesn't help me with cab clearance. Depending on the cabs forward and upward movement I may be able to make it work.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a video or link to a video from the side of the vehicle of raising the cab on a M1078 or M1079. with the cab hinge point so far forward I'm interested in the geometry of raising the cab.

I'm pretty sure if I remove the bed from the vehicle and build my own sub frame I can reduce the hight of the camper, although that doesn't help me with cab clearance. Depending on the cabs forward and upward movement I may be able to make it work.
Are you asking how to raise your cab or am i misunderstanding ? if so your box by your toolbox on p side the top knob turn to your right at the bottom are some push turn smaller knobs push it in and you will hear it start pumping like a air jack try it with the truck running a few times so your full of air and the battery is topped off and AIWAYS remember to take all the loose stuff out of cab before you do this or you will bust your windsheild with falling stuff . Jack the cab up a foot or 2 then twist top knob again and turn it all the way to left to let the cab back down when your comfortable jack the cab all the way it will go and at the furthest point the cab will fall forward a few inches and make you crap your pants the first time it happens its supposed to do that when your done jacking it up turn top knob to center position to hold cab still not letting it start slowly sitting back down to the frame . I put a stand pole under the cab body in a sturdy spot both ends when im on top of motor working in case a hose blew out .

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's asking about what the clearance is as the cab is raised. I am guessing that he doesn't have the truck yet but that he does have the camper.

Here's something for you: the pivot point is ~4' 4" off the ground and ~7" behind the front bumper. As the cab pivots, the most distant portion of the cab will swing through an arc of ~7' 6" from that pivot, effectively making the cab pass through 11' 10" at its apogee and that point would be directly above the pivot.

You would need to slide the camper back on the bed.

Chris

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He's asking about what the clearance is as the cab is raised. I am guessing that he doesn't have the truck yet but that he does have the camper.

Here's something for you: the pivot point is ~4' 4" off the ground and ~7" behind the front bumper. As the cab pivots, the most distant portion of the cab will swing through an arc of ~7' 6" from that pivot, effectively making the cab pass through 11' 10" at its apogee and that point would be directly above the pivot.

Chris
AH OK im surprised it is that tall raised ive never measured it . I couldnt make up my mind what he wanted about raiseing the cab i understood he wanted the travel path of the cab but i thought the spare tire raiseing up was going to cancel out the camper over cap thought .

DARKOP

Chris
Thanks ckouba, thats what I was looking for. Sorry I wasn't more clear on my question, my bad. After doing the math it does look like the Cabover camper idea is a no go and too high. Looks like I'll be looking for a M1079 and doing a Habitat buildout.

DARKOP

Yeah a cab-over camper really isn't really viable on a cab-over cab.

I'd look to another platform or another box.
Ya, I was thinking maybe the cabover camper idea would suffice to hold me over while I did a box buildout and then remove the camper and then install the box habitat.

Anyone have the interior dimensions of the M1079 box?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks