• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 gauge ground wire

jhyatt7

Ok, I know my starter is bad, but what would cause the 10 gauge wire that goes from the front battery negative battery cable to the body to burn up while starting the truck?:tank:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your other BIG ground wires are not making good contact so all the work is put on the 10 ga wire. You also need the braided wire going from the engine to the body (passenger rear)

Grounds play a very important role in how any electrical system works.

markg

Ok, I know my starter is bad, but what would cause the 10 gauge wire that goes from the front battery negative battery cable to the body to burn up while starting the truck?:tank:
.... and that other big wire goes from the negative bus to the back of the intake manifold. it gets loose because gm put the ground cable on top of one of the intake bolts with another nut on top. remove the top nut that holds the cable.(you may have to get a thin 14mm-9/16 to hold the bottom bolt. ) then take a deep socket and tighten the bottom bolt into the block. re install the cable. that will take care of it. after you do that you may find your starter is not bad.

Last edited:

K9Vic

:ditto:

I had this problem on my M1031 where my starter was not engaging and I took it out and had it check out and was fine. My starter/alternator guy knows CUCV trucks and he told me exactly what markg said (Ricks Alternators in Hillsboro, TX). Before I took the starter out I cleaned all the grounds except the one on the engine block. well after I cleaned that my M1031 starts fine now. Like markg said you have to hold the cable so the top bolt comes off and it helps to use an impact. So that engine block ground is very important as I found out.

stationjj

I second what Warthog and K9VIC said. I learned that lesson about engine Block ground the hard way. Cost me a lot of time and frustration.

I was amazed the difference an updated engine block ground made on my 1009.

stationjj

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks