• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 grade motor oil

FormerNewMVGuy

actually,the tm calls for 10w sae motor oil for the ldt 465 engine in below 30 degrees temps,and 30w sae above 30 degrees. But most of us run Rotella 15-40, or rotella synthetic

wdbtchr

Just out of curiosity does the 10W oil for power steering pumps call for nondetergent oil. I ask because when I get my replacement powersteering pump on, I'm going to have to refill it. I've been meaning to try to look this up but I'm waiting for the weather to warm up before tearing into it, no shop building.

Capt.Marion

That's because they really didn't implement multi-viscosity oils until the past 20 or so years, if even. I think everyone now runs 15w-40, a friend of mine said that they ran it in their deuces and in the 5 ton (and in their 3/4 ton etc...)

emr

NON detergent oil's are used where there are NO filters, as a detergent brakes up sludge and sends it to the filter, the NON detergent oil leaves the sludge in it lets it stay where it wont brake free and clog things up, ..but the old truest saying is any oil is better than NO oil..whether u need to put in synthetic or a non detergent or a detergent because your regular oil is to low ..do it.. nothing will happen .since a detergent is there to clean U could say hey i will run it and when still hot drain it to help clean it,if no filte rBUT sometimes thinking to far into it gets silly too... :!: .Randy

emr

Also the better the oil the better the protection,saying an older motor should use an older style oil is simply silly. as for lighter or heavier oil, in a Military truck the tolerances are wide enough that any oil will do, watching temps of course for single viscosity or useing a heavier weight multi viscosity anytime just WON"T matter, the more worn the motor the heavier the oil U can and should use., small motors and motors with tight tolerances require a lighter oil because one will rob certain tight areas of lubrication, it really is that simple...take a minute and call the 800 # on a oil can and get a tech... and use a pad and pencil... they will easily explain what the #s and temps that go with those #s and the W does not mean weight ..quiz who knows what it stands for???Randy

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovry4x4 said:
Wished I could find a drum of SAE 10 for really cheap.
Use this for your hydraulics, it's viscosity is equivalent to 10 weight motor oil.
Your local NAPA, Carquest or farm store will also carry AW32 hydraulic fluid, which has the viscosity of 10 weight engine oil, which I use for my crane.

Attachments

jwaller

cranetruck said:
Recovry4x4 said:
Use this for your hydraulics, it's viscosity is equivalent to 10 weight motor oil.
Your local NAPA, Carquest or farm store will also carry AW32 hydraulic fluid, which has the viscosity of 10 weight engine oil, which I use for my crane.
so this is what should be used in the 5T power steering pumps?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
jwaller said:
cranetruck said:
Recovry4x4 said:
so this is what should be used in the 5T power steering pumps?
Best "fit" I have found, so that's what I'll use.

citizensoldier

I use a straight weight non ditergant 10 weight in all my compressor heads for winter up here. I used to buy it in the gallon or 5 gallon bucket at the farm store. In the summer I use 30 weight. Would this be what you use in the crane and power steering pump? In the compressors its a non filter situation like emr said and when its -20 its the only way to go.. Otherwize you have a block of ice..LOL

Sarge

One source of supply for straight 10W non-detergent motor oil is Tractor Supply, they sell it in two gallon containers. Can anyone tell me of other places they buy this oil?
Thanks!
-Sarge

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Costco has 5 gallon buckets of tractor fluid out here in WA on the automotive isle.
It doesn't say 10w anywhere, but it has all the same tractors listed in CraneTrucks pix posted above.

Attachments

Sarge

Pros and cons

Okay, so far this is a great thread and I'm learning a lot about oil.
I have a ZF WSK400 transmission. It is slightly unusual in that it is a six speed manual transmission with a torque converter up front that is always spinning. The torque converter, the gear box and the transfer case share a common oil bath. The 1980 Technical Manual specifies NATO O-176 oil with no substitutes authorized. After lots of research I discovered that NATO O-176 is straight 10W non-detergent motor oil. The tranny does have an oil filter, but I have not changed it yet because it takes 45 quarts of fluid.
So here is my question:
What are the pros and cons of using a tractor hydraulic fluid in place of straight 10W oil?
Thanks!
-Sarge