• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 ton near Carrollton

03silverado

There was a guy at the Aberdeen, MD show last year that had a restored 10 ton tractor and it was by far very cool but it was also very very useless way to wide and way to hard on fuel to even be fun to drive. I'll stick with my M813A1 and watch somebody with money to blow drive the 10 tons

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ask David Doyle about long trips in M123's......one of the funniest things I ever heard about driving them. As far as I know he still has one in his collection.

There is a guy near me that was in an Armor Unit in the AL National Guard way back when they had the M60 tanks and M123's to haul them with.....he said the trip from North Alabama to Camp Shelby, Mississippi in the summer time was an ordeal. Usually took two whole days to get there.

They had the gassers and he said they had to have fuel tankers with them at all times to keep the thirsty beasts fed.

Back then there were almost no interstate or four lane roads......they hit every small town and all the major cities going down there and back.

fasttruck

M123s were not for the faint of heart. Once they put retarders, i.e. Williams exhaust brakes on them you could really drive them. They would wiggle into places with a M747 trailer that M911s feared to go. We also found out who the hackers and the non-hackers were in the heavy haul platoon. Like any other Army truck: keep the tire pressure up, GREASE the little thing well and keep the brakes adjusted and you were good to go.

bearboley

Where these along a river? near the highway close to a bride with a 3ton weight limit? if so I don't know who they belong to, but I seen them last week. Also various other military stuff here and there.

rizzo

Where these along a river? near the highway close to a bride with a 3ton weight limit? if so I don't know who they belong to, but I seen them last week. Also various other military stuff here and there.
that not sure about the bridge, but the rest sounds right. It was east of the bridge a few miles.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECO in Augusta, GA had a couple in their back yard last time I was out there. One looked decent as i recall.

spicergear

There's a whole section on the transmission and the problems they had with them. Granted, these guys are more off road as far as the grades they're on than a Euc', but still it's interesting to see that they ran into the same issue on multiple trannies. I've posted this link before, but it's a good write up and read on the 10 ton tractors and the abuse they take (like 120,000lbs off-road overloaded) and not caring so much... :shock:

VanNatta Big Trucks - The big 6x6 Mack M123A1C

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The last time I was up at my buddy's place they were still holding down the real estate. If you are seriously interested let me know and I'll give you his contact info. He is in the scrap business so you will not buy them for less than scrap price.

jdknech

i know of the one in carrollton... and the owner will not let go of it, or the other Military trucks he has rotting away in the feilds... I know a couple guys that have tried to get them...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks