• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 ton restored on Alfa

emr

It truly depends on what one wants in a hobby truck, I am not like most, but would love the opertunity to own and drive a ten ton, i have experience in a veriety or large trucks and would very very much like the feeling of mastering that truck, i would not stop driving it until i did, i hope to own one some day, actually after the 818 i want/need very badly.i wish i was ready i would grab this one for sure...GREAT post!!!!!!!...Randy

metrobus

10 Ton

I drove a M-123A1C in the Maine Army National Guard back in the 70's. If ever a engine needed a Jake brake to slow the engine down to allow for reasonably fast upshifts, it was the 903 cummins that was in the M-123. Drove a gasser with the LeRoi engine once, and it didn't seem to have that problem. The truck at the beginning of this thread looks better than when it was new , I'm sure. Great Job!!

FreightTrain

Banned
Yea,The gasser had an exhaust brake.It had to since the compression was 6:1.The engine would slow down slower than the truck without it.Man,with 6:1....I wonder how much boost you could safely feed one.....Hee hee hee......

1992TWINZ

alfa has some very nice vehicles. i have just purchased super singles and some 51 inch for my bob project. very nice guy to deal with very helpfull.

majortom

Glad To See You Guys All Yappin' 'Bout My Truck. Connie Is A 1969 Consolidated Diesel Electric M123 A1C. This Truck Was In Service Hauling Tracked Vehicles Including The A1 Between Fort McCoy Wisconsin And Little Falls Minnesota. It Originally Had A V8 300 Cummins Connie Along With Its Two Sister Trucks Had 903s Installed In The Early Ninties Because They Were Lacking Enough Power To Move The 120 Thousand Plus Pound A1s Around. This Truck Not Only Has The Correct Bumper Markings And Unit Numbers, It Is 100 Percent Functional Including Radio. I Have Made Three Modifications To This Unit: It Now Has Dual Acting Air Brakes, So The Damn Thing Will Stop If It Loses Air Pressure, An Industry Standard Fifth Wheel (We Saved The Original Fifth Wheel), And No Mufflers. As Far As Drive Ability, I Think The Truck Drives Much Nicer Than Any Five Ton I've Owned. I Just Drove To Down To Iola And Back Again This Year. True It Is Slow, As It Only Goes 45 Miles An Hour, But It Drives Very Comparable To Most Old Semis. I Firmly Believe That Connie Is The Worlds Best Ten Ton, As The Restoration Goes Much Further Than Simply Paint. In My Not So Humble Opinion, David Jones' (Dirt 71) M125 May Wind Up Being A Better Restoration. Regardless How That Pans Out Connie Will Never Be For Sale, If And When The Alfa Heaven Collection Gets Split Up Connie Will Then Go To A Major Military Museum. Thanks For Noticing.

Reactions: DAS
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks