• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 Ton

m.walker

Finally came down from up north , my friends 10 ton . We will be making turn key soon ! Runs , needs a little brake work , seat mounted , and other minor stuff . I had some pics of the 5 ton next to it but the camera batteries died and they were out of focus , I'll get some better ones later and post . For now here are these .

Attachments

M35guy

What size are those tires? they're GIGANTIC! if anything thats a true go anywhere anytime truck.

M35guy

btw, one more question, what is under the hood on these things, I mean they're obviously bigger and much heavier than the deuces and 5 ton trucks. I wouldnt really imagine the multifuel being in there. cummins or Cat perhaps?
I cant help but wonder, I've not seen many 10 ton trucks, though that 10 ton cargo would be a sweet rig to have, I just like big big trucks though.

M35guy

that winch looks positively enormous. probably rated for around 20-30 tons. it aint little, I know that much for sure

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll be honest...the 10 tons are MUCH, MUCH more fun to look at and talk about than to drive. They are beasts...non-sychro transmissions, heavy, overwidth (114" wide) and very slow (top speed on the cargo was 42 mph, but I'm not sure I ever did that). Don't get me wrong. They are cool trucks. Depending upon the price, I would consider getting another (probably a tractor, because the cargos are very rare). It would have to be cheap, though, because I could not even think of sinking serious coin into a truck that is basically a cool lawn ornament. Unless you have land to drive the thing on, or open country roads, be warned...they are NO fun in traffic or in suburban areas. An opinion from someone that has owned and operated one of these trucks...my .02 cents...

Bruce

Olney, MD

------

1989 M932A2
1989 M925A2
1989 M101A2
1988 M977
1988 M105A2
1987 M1045
1987 M105A2
1985 M1009 (3)
1963 M332 (2)

rizzo

TacticalTruck said:
The 10 tonners were originall 830ci LeRoi gassers, which the cargo pictured still has and the tractor has a Cummins 903. Here's a pic of my XM124 whichis still gas.
wow look at how big the cab is, must be a family vehicle. Is that what you take to the grocery store?

TacticalTruck

Ha, yea but when we take it Momma tends to spend too much money 'cause we have room to carry home the whole store.
It was the mobile dyno truck at Ft. Belvior. You can also see a picture of it from 1968 in MV mag in the article about the ro-ro tractors.
It was the only long wheel base ten ton, XM124, built. It's a 1957 Mack serial #1001. The guy who wrote the article said he heard the cab was built from two Corbit 6 ton cabs. The doors are aluminum and wood frame but I'm missing one.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cargo is the M125. Winches are both 45,000# jokers and appears the same to me but might have some differences

Adamlee

Ski's ten-ton XM124

TacticalTruck said:
The 10 tonners were originall 830ci LeRoi gassers, which the cargo pictured still has and the tractor has a Cummins 903. Here's a pic of my XM124 whichis still gas.
Jeff, you forgot to mention how this dual-exhaust gasser custom stacks death machine replicates an armageddon-style vehicle from Road Warrior....especially when you fire it up and blow out the mouse nests build-up....

Attachments

m.walker

My friends has the V8 Cummins in it . They are different to drive , they are wider , longer and taller than the 5 tons . You have to pay more attention to where your corners are . Forget looking out the back window the winch covers most of it ! How bad are they on mileage , the forestry people were telling us 1 or 2 mpgs . The top speed on the tractor was same as you said for the cargo though they said they averaged about 35 mph . I can't wait till it's done I want to go for a longer ride than the factory lot . You should post some more pictures , I love that cargo ! It's amazing how small that pioneer rack looks on the side of the bed !

spicergear

That looks to be the same winch alright but with the level wind moved to the forward position and I'd be the worm drive is coming in from the opposite side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks