• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

10 Ton

AMGeneral

10 ton

Does anyone know where I can find a decent 10 ton tractor that hasen't been destroyed by some logging company?I'm looking for a tractor (M123 series preferably)to transport my GOER when I get it restored.Over width is not a problem as the GOER is 118 in wide in the front.I considered using my 5 ton M52,but I don't think it's quite up to the task.Any leads would help. thanks,

AMGeneral

NEIOWA

Think about an M911? Appear in govliquidation on occasion and a lot more of a truck (and more modern).

A very low mile M911 with M747 trailer was headed my way last year. However the Iowa Forester ventilated the block (both sides) while on I80. I don't know if has be thru GSA auction yet or not. Watch www.gsaauctions.gov

NEIOWA

10 ton

AMGeneral said:
Over width is not a problem as the GOER is 118 in wide in the front.I considered using my 5 ton M52,but I don't think it's quite up to the task.Any leads would help. thanks,

AMGeneral

Check that out VERY throughly. I've set up moves of 5x M911 from various parts of the US. There are several states that are militant about enforcing 102" as max width of licensed vehicle. Load can be whatever your oversize permit allows (including overwidth extensions on a trailer). Remove load and trailer must be reduced, tractor can never exceed 102".

I've been able to get around the width limits is most states as "I'm a gov't agency/fire dept not subject to your regulations".

m.walker

Take a 10 ton flip the hubs and single it out in the rear , also narrow the mudguards and mirror mounts . That will make the tractor legal , the trailers for the ten ton are wide ! Look in the pics to see what we did to make it narrow enough for hauling . Somewhere I've got pics of a singled out 10 ton I'll look .

AMGeneral

10 ton

I'm not really a fan of the M911 tractors,true they probably are more well equipped to tow a load and are easier to handle than the M123,but they are nearly double the price for the same condition truck.Also i've never much cared for the 2 stroke Detroit Diesels,I'd much rather have the Cummins in my personal opinion.

AMGeneral

NEIOWA

10 ton

AMGeneral said:
I'm not really a fan of the M911 tractors,true they probably are more well equipped to tow a load and are easier to handle than the M123,but they are nearly double the price for the same condition truck.Also i've never much cared for the 2 stroke Detroit Diesels,I'd much rather have the Cummins in my personal opinion.

AMGeneral
Can't argue about the engine but what is, is. And decent 1980 F350 likely will cost twice what a decent 1960 1ton but will do a lot more work, at a higher speed, more economically.

Desert Rat

The Freightshaker has a 350 Cummins with the standard 10 speed Roadranger tranny. Dependable set-up! I'd love to have one or the 915 either!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That M125 is real cool, Recov. I'd love to have one like that, but man, I'd hate the gas bill at the end of tanking up. Gotta be,, what, 1 mile per gallon?

I always toyed with the idea of getting a M123 tank tractor, with the diesel motor, ripping off the 5th wheel hitch and winch setup, and plopping a 5-tonner bed on the back for a quasi-M125 look, but that'll be a project for a future day. :)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Um, I don't think it gets MPG that good. Probably a half mile per gallon. The awe factor is way high though!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want a diesel-powered 10 ton cargo, just find a cargo bed from a 10 ton gasser and mount it on an M123A1. Unlike the deuces and 5 tons, both the cargo and the tractor have the same wheelbase. Now...the tough part...finding the correct bed!

Bruce

Olney, MD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks