• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100% used motor oil fuel.

rwright07

we just had to change our first set of filters, about 300-350 gallons of WMO filtered.
We are getting if from a shop local who puts the nastiest stuff in a different container than what we get goes in.

99dodge1500- i am running about 80% WMO cut w/ #2ULSD in my diesel powered k5, same engine as the m1000 series. Check out these pages,

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f22/wmo-info-201451/

do a search there and you will find alot of info. The older powerstroke and the 6.2/6.5 are IDI (indirect injection) motors that use a combustion chamber to atomoze the fuel rather than extremely high IP pressures. this allows for a wider range of fuel densities to be used without much of a problem.

build a setup (will cost around 200 bucks if you do it right) and then start at 10% or so and work up 10% untill the motor starts smoking excessively at idle, then back off 10%. as long as you keep the WMO filtered down to 5microns and have a water seperator you will be fine

eddiec

well, i just slod my 1009, have driven it since march, everyday to work, and only used wmo in it, with no problems. the new owner still uses wmo. as for my duece, that is all it is fueled with also. and yes, both receive 100% wmo. has been below 20 quite a few times, but still starts and runs fine. :-D

deess

i run used motor oil or used hydraulic oil all the time because i get it for free from work.My truck runs the same as if it was on straight diesel.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This may have been mentioned before in this thread, but I'm not about to read all the posts, the multifuel engine has a couple of metal to metal seals that are sensitive to micron size hard particles, the FDC and the IP plunger. Make sure the used oil that you feed it is very well filtered!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp, I think what Bjorn is saying that if you use WMO it may run the risk of having micron sized particles in it that could cause damage.

But that's just a guess.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lapped surfaces have tolerances in the 2 to 3 micron range based on some research I have done.
My original FDC plunger was scratched by rust particles from an old fuel tank and started to leak. Do an oil analysis to find out if you have fuel in the crankcase oil, that will tell you.

I'm experimenting with a magnetic fuel filter now....

As far as 10 micron filtering, on a new vehicle with clean tank(s) and clean fuel, there would be little to worry about, but used crankcase oil, don't know, time will tell.
Like I posted before, with three stages of filtration, it must be important for the multifuel engine...what other engine from the sixties featured that kind of filtering?

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I understand your statement about 3 stages of filtering, but also, they were intended to run on "anything" in the field. I will have to look into filtering smaller particles. I have already put about 30-40 hard drive magnets on the outside of my HHO container. Strong and cheap!

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm also improvising, the commercially available magnetic filters are expensive, was quoted $240 for one from "One Eye Industries" in Canada. The fuel must flow very near the magnets to be effective in catching anything.

alaskajeep

In the summer I have been running WMO and used cooking oil.
no real science to my mixture.....just whatever I have close when there is room in the tank.
no change in the amount of smoke, but I have been told that following me smells a little like driving past a MacDonalds
I have been changing out filters a lil more frequently, but just the stock filters
was not aware of the potential damage from finer particles...will look into that

working on some pre-filtering methods....so far the best way to get all the french-fries and crap out is filtering it through a 5 gal bucket of sand and charcoal, then coffee filter-type paper
as I said - still a work in progress
I try to run most all that out by fall and then switch over to #1 fuel oil, but I was a lil slow this year, and now my fuel looks like a block of lard...
found some 24v pad heaters....thinking of gluing one to the bottom of my fuel tank...also experimenting with products such as Deisel 911 and other anti-gel products - see what it takes to keep canola oil liquid..

will let everyone know when I make a breakthrough

Rattlehead

I found these 5 gallon pail screens. You can stack them from coarse to fine, they work great for gettting out the oak leaves and boulders during initial collection. He sells them in sets of 4, so you can go 600/400/200/100 (or 75) micron. If you are careful with them you can clean/reuse. I saw decreasing amounts of crud in each one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-5-Gallon-EZ-strainer-Bucket-Filter-Biodiesel-WVO-SVO_W0QQitemZ270314627797QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item270314627797&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

He also sells bag filters of different sizes. Here is the direct website.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/

Still trying to figure the final filtering/dewatering, etc. Starting to think a waste oil furnace might be a better investment. Then again its cold out now, my opinion might change when summer is here and there are events to drive to.

TBigLug

So the general consensis is that running on WMO you will NOT see a reduction in performance? Correct? I was told once that I'd be lucky to hit 10 mph. running 100% WMO but the more I thinned it out the faster I'd go. I don't know, haven't bought my first deuce yet, just trying to clarify because burning WMO is a major factor in me going with a deuce. My fellow farmer neighbors have 10 or more 55 gallon drums full within a couple of mile of me. So I can drive it pretty much for free in the summer once I build a filtration and processing deal.

stampy

Hi guys I thought I would throw in my 2cents. I have a centrifuge and have been running wvo cut with diesel in my Mercedes 300sd for over a year. The centrifuge(simple centrifuge is the name of the company that makes the unit or the bowl) removes down to .05 microns yes half a micron. It removes water, scale all trash. The oil must be heated to run at any speed but it's amazing the crap that comes out of a 55gal drum. I have a whole setup in my yard and now have a cucv and a M1009 to play with. The cucv has half a tank of oil mixed diesel currently. I have noticed it takes slightly longer to start 5-10 sec but it is colder and that may have something to do with it. I will try to get some pictures of my setup. Basically its a 55gal drum upside down on a stand with a water drain in the 3/4 relief hole and a 3/4 fitting welded about 2" above that with a valve attached. I cut out the "bottom" of the barrel and covered it with a larger barrel lid to keep out water. A drum heater gets it nice and warm but the sun helps too as teh barrel is black. This feeds the centrifuge which slings the oil to the edge of the bowl with huge force. I drain off the water after heating the oil and then crack open the valve with the centrifuge spinning. The good oil is slung off into the enclosed container and drains into a clean plastic barrel. After I run a 55 gal barrel I clean the centrifuge and pull out stuff that looks like old dry axle grease. I have 2 restaraunts that I have been using for oil. So far picking up the oil has been the biggest headache as one of the restaraunts has a dock height loading area where they keep my barrel. If you gus have any questions I will be glad to answer. Oh, by the way I have no problems with the Benz in over a year of running! Filters wmo too!!:wink:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So let me get this straight.....as long as I filter the used oil or transmission fluid first, i can mix it 50% with diesel and be ok?
NO! You can cut it with diesel or gasoline or nothing at all. I don't go as high as 50% even. I meant to put more than just WMO in the wrecker before winter, but didn't still runs fine. Cranks a little longer to start though.

stampy

As with anything you are the final person to determine what works for you! A well maintained vehicle can run a wider amout of "junk" fuel than a poorly maintained one.

DeuceNewb

ok, so don't use a lot, but when I change my oil, would it be alright to filter the used oil and then add it to my tank? That will be like 6 gallons of oil to over 20 gallons of fuel. I don't want to add too much, but i like the idea of burning fuel that didn't cost me much. What are the ratios you guys are using?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks