• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 cargo cover

Rich Johnson

Has any body with a truck that put a cargo cover up noticed how bad it effects the gas mileage on the highway.

In short, I put the cargo cover up first time the same weekend I installed the overdrive on the truck. I monitored my gasmilage religiously and used to get almost 16. Now, on the highway with the OD on, Im getting 13ish because of the cargo cover....(I hope)

So has anybody else figured how bad the cargo cover effects gas mileage?

Attachments

Last edited:

rnd-motorsports

Sorry but had to say it !!! I never get any GAS millage with mine. rofl But my fuel mileage is about 18 per gal. Sorry! I have heard allot say that about the cover and how it knocks down there mileage. My dad put a faring on his truck to help when he hauls his fifth wheel and left it on while just driving without his fifth wheel and found out the same thing lost about 2 mile's per gallon

SSG Rock

Rich,

I have a cargo cover on my M1008. The mileage may suffer a small amount but my tools and equipment don't get wet and I like that. A toolbox full of water just don't get it.

SSG Rock

Rich Johnson

I got the cover from Walker equipment in Victorville area.

Im afraid that the cargo cover may not be the only reason that my gas milage dropped so far.

Im afraid that even though my RPM dropped quite a bit while Im at 65mph, that maybe the torque required to maintain that speed may be taking more fuel than before. That would be a real serious bummer considering what the over drive costs and takes to install.

I started driving with the cover front and rear curtains rolled up and noticed a serious drop in the resistance I feel in the truck on the highway so I just pray that was it. I will do my milage numbers soon. Not driving much whil Im out on a National Guard op.

wikallen

I imagine the cover will drop your mileage. A regular cab height fiberglass or metal topper would probably increase your mileage.

WARWAG

You need to have a "Locked up torque convertor" at highway speeds. If you dont then yes you will not get the desired effect you installed the OD for. This can be done. When you get it wired up add a turn off switch to your brake light switch. When you put on your brakes at highway speeds it unlocks your toque convertor so as not to burn it up as you slow down. You may forget if its just an on off switch.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks