• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 door glass

blzrgb

Hello. Somewhere around 1980 GM changed the thickness of the door glass in their pickups. I'm trying to order new window felt from LMC and need the felt for the "thicker" glass. The door itself came from a salvage yard 20 years ago and I can't remember what year model truck that I robbed it off of.
The guy at LMC is totally lost at the fact and is of no help......so, my question is, I have the thick glass door so should I buy felt for a door before or after 1980 ? I hope this makes sense and thanks in advance

raiburn

My reference says one window from 73-80.
It is a different window for 81-87,(or 81-91 Blazer and Suburban).
I would bite the bullet, and get the right window first. Joe.

nhdiesel

If I'm reading this correctly, he can't "just stick to the correct year" because he doesn't know what year that is. He replaced the door, and doesn't know what year the door is. He needs the correct parts for the door.

I tried searching the web and can't find the info, so I'm not helping. Those trucks are common enough, do you have a friend who you can go measure their window and/or felt? That should help you narrow down years.

Jim

blzrgb

73-80 models had the thicker glass. 81-87 models had thinner glass. I've measured several different windows from several model years and what I needed was the 73-80. If you install new felt for a 81-87 into a door from the years 73-80 your window will be super hard to roll up and down. That's what my problem was. A while back I in stalled new felt from LMC and there was a note that said the window would be tight until the new felt gets broken in. But all the while Ihad simply installed the wrong felt. LMC apparently is not aware of the difference in glass thickness because no one I talked to there could tell me anything about it. So beware, there is a difference.

dependable

If you compare the slot for the wheels that run in the window channel, the channel are a lot smaller on the 70's ones than the 80's ones. Even though the door stamp and glass shape is the same, the window regulator guts must match the glass. I don't know if there are any other differences.