• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 front end worn out?

Rich Johnson

In the year that I have had my truck, I discovered that I had the death wobble. It only had 50k miles but they must have been hard miles.

I replaced the kingpin springs and bushings as well as the stabilizer.

Recently my truck has started to pull to the right and drastically pulls right when applying brakes.

I checked brakes and bearings (left side blew apart a while back), tire pressure etc. Nothing.

Now, when braking it pulls right, but the steering wheel wobbles left right a bit with it.

I fianlly gave up and took it into a shop.

They came back and told me all my tie rod ends are worn out, as well as my front spings causing the swaying.

They said changing the bushings and shackles will cost much more in labor than just replaceing the whole spring set (150 per side)

I have a couple questions,

1 Are the 1008 springs more than a 1 ton C30 I mean are they special military rated springs?

2 how difficult would it be for me to pull and replace the shakle bushings, has any body done it?

I plan on doing the tie rod ends myself then taking it in for an alignment.
If the springs are just stock chevy 1 ton C-30 and not special military, then I may them to do that job.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

IdahoPlowboy

I just went thru my 1028 front end and the springs look the same as my 1009 and my dads 84 k30 1 ton dually, Im not saying there the same because I dont know the spring rates but they looked to be the same on all 3 trucks.
I did the shakle bushings front and rear on both my 1009 and my 1028 and they were not bad at all. I did ORDs bushings and shackles and there FUSH kit also. The hardest part of all of it would have been getting the old bushings out but I had the shop that re arched the springs do that.

IdahoPlowboy

OffroadDesign.com Lots of stuff for Chevy trucks and others also. Fush is the Front upper shackle hanger, This is where your front leaf spring bolts to frame at the rear of the spring. It is a stronger part than the stock one with a larger size bushing.

Last edited:

IdahoPlowboy

I dont understand how the springs could cause the problem I have had them sag some but never worn. If they sag re arch or replace them and get better bushings.

Rich Johnson

I picked up my truck and the tech, who builds off road race trucks in his spare time, says that my front springs are sagging, and a couple are warped. He seriously reccomends replacing both front springs and not changing just the bushings.

Are the 3 leaf front springs stock C30 one ton springs or are the stronger ones?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M1008 front springs are part number GM 460354. TM 9-2320-289-34p figure 148.

They have the UOC code of 194, 208, 210, 230, 231, 252, 254 and 256. That means they are used on all the trucks except the M1009 Blazer.

You do know how to lookup the UOC (Usable On Code) don't you. Look at page 4 of the parts manual.

Rockauto.com is show Dayton part#22402 for $130. It replaces part number OE# 460354

101coolcars

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Napa is a good souce for front end parts like the tie rod ends, ask for K30 4x4 1 ton parts, the great folks at ORD, off road design can get you set up with springs and poly bushings, they even have greaseable bushing kits. they realy know chevy front ends.

any slop, anywhere in the front suspension can cause varying degrees of death wobble, sometimes just replacing one part can mask or improve the wobble for awhile making troubleshooting very difficult. a high quality steering stabilzer is a must. you need to lossen one end to test it properly, it should have considerable resistance to compression, if its loose, there is one on the main culprits. hope that helps some.\\\

Terry

usmc80

Can anyone tell me the tie rod or part number I need for the drivers side of a m1008? Napa said that they come in two different sizes and I dont have the original part.

dependable

I recently got tie rod and drag link ends (and adjuster sleeves because mine were pretty rusted) for a M1008 from Rock Auto.com. They had a couple of brands to chose from. Use their on line catalog and look for parts for 1984 K-30. You can also find part numbers there.

WARWAG

The bushings are pretty easy to get out AFTER you remove the metal inner sleeve. Why you are at it get the Off Road Designs (ORD) greasable bushings and bolts. The upgraded front spring hanger is worth it as well. You can also get new springs. I like the EZ ride HD springs. Very Nice and smooth. You can get those from ORD as well. Remember. What you do on one side you should do on the other.

48cj2a

If you are going to replace the springs then it is also a perfect time to consider a mild lift to accomidate larger tires and help compensate for the 4.56 gears and high rpm on the highway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks