• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 starter

blzrgb

Hello.
The 24 volt starter on my 1008 has internally fried itself yesterday. Gonna have to break open my fruit jar and buy a new one, rebuilding is not an option. Who's got the best starter for the money. This truck is driven dailey and I need the best starter I can buy, Thanks, GB.

Barrman

Why is rebuilding not an option?

If you have the Delco unit now, taking it to a rebuilding in your area will probably give you a starter as good or better than one you can buy new. Total price will probably be about the same. I spent $145 to have mine redone last fall. Which is pretty close to what a new one and all the pieces will run you to your door. Plus, I now have someone to take it to and yell at if it fails.

Don't forget that if you buy a new one and it is a different style than what you have now, you will need to get the rear mount bracket for the new style as well.

Chief_919

:deadhorse:

Try Rare Electrical or DB Electrical. They both have 24V starters for 6.2's for less than $100. Not sure if the style is exactly the same or not. You can also run a 12V starter by moving some wires. This is covered in the CUCV wiki (Cucv Wiki - Steel Soldiers::Military Vehicles Supersite)

Their starters are Chinese.

Unless you can find a new 24V Delco, having a skilled rebuilder take your starter and rebuild it will give you a far better product than the Chinese ones.

If your starter can't be rebuilt, you are still better off buying a used 24v one and having it rebuilt than a Chinese unit.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did Delco ever make 24V reduction starters? I need to find a Mom & Pop starter rebuilder here before the Chinese put them all out of business. Also, are the rebuild parts Chinese?

Chief_919

Did Delco ever make 24V reduction starters? I need to find a Mom & Pop starter rebuilder here before the Chinese put them all out of business. Also, are the rebuild parts Chinese?
Delco did. I have one.

My rebuilder avoids Chinese parts whenever he can. If they are all that are out there he will tell you before using them.

idM1028

Their starters are Chinese.

Unless you can find a new 24V Delco, having a skilled rebuilder take your starter and rebuild it will give you a far better product than the Chinese ones.

If your starter can't be rebuilt, you are still better off buying a used 24v one and having it rebuilt than a Chinese unit.
Again, you can still run an American made or rebuilt 12V starter. . .
I went to Rare Electrical after my alts fried and I got a set of supposedly rebuilt (and also free) alts. The reason I went that route was the "skilled rebuilder" (fancy way of saying the shop had worked on military stuff and I trusted the place to rebuild it) wanted about the same price to rebuild the alts as a new pair. I dropped the new alts in the truck along with new belts months ago and have had no issues. I make sure the belts are tight and that the alts get wrapped up in plastic bags if I decide to power wash the engine bay. That is it.