• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 steering kingpin tension spring help!

Rich Johnson

I am trying to replace the steering preload springs on the kingpins. I have the four bolts off the steering arm on on the drivers side knuckle, but I cannot get the steering arm to come loose off the knuckle.
I have pried on it a bit with a big bar but it wont come loose let alone come off.

What do I do to get this thing off to get that spring and plastic cone out?

ranchhopper

First put the nuts back on just a few threads then tap on the rounded edge along the top where they are strong enough no to dent. If that doesnt work tap a sharp screwdriver under them in different spots they have a gasket under them that glues them down as they age.

Last edited:

Rich Johnson

Oh yes the whole axle was on jackstands.
Well, I got it off. Broke two screwdirvers in the process.
I fell back on how we do things in the Army, brute force doesnt work, apply more force. I beat it with a sledge back and forth and used a really big pry bar on the steering arm as a counter force. I wiggled it back and forth till it came off.

Tomorrow I do the passenger side. Unfortuneatly, there is no steering lever to add to the leverage, so it may not be as "Easy".
Oh my old spring was 1/4 inch shorter than the new spring.

bushhawg73

I am doing the exact same repair. My cap and steering arm came off real easy, guess I was lucky. The biggest challenge was laying on a creeper and driving the races back in the bottom side. Before I did my repair my knuckles would move back and forth with little effort. Now they are very tight and moving them left and right requires a pretty good pull or push. My old races and bearings were in very bad shape, lots of rust and grime. I also removed the axles and had new ujoints installed, pulled the carrier and replaced the inner axle seals and cleaned the tubes. I used a toilet cleaning brush and after a little trimming it worked very well. The tubes were really nasty, sand and old axle fluid caked up pretty bad. I will also be installing and new set of warn premium hubs after I get the hubs and spindle clean. This was a lot of work but the outcome should be worth it.

Rich Johnson

I didnt get the screw driver in more than a 1/4 inch. I had to clean all that tuff gasket pad off both sides with an old pocket knife I reserve just for that job. No burrs found. I bought gasket material at Napa, its a nice rubber cardboard composit stuff. Making the new gasket was not fun, its tough to cut with an exacto knife.

ODdave

B.F.H. remove the tapered lock wasshers and lift it off. prying is a self defeating act with these.

P.S. Passenger side is much easier as it dose not have taper locks

Last edited:

sschaefer3

Take the nuts off. Tap, not hard on the studs with a brass hammer and make the cone washers pop out. Once those are off the cap or arm will come off easily. The lowers are harder to get off.