• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 Steering wobble from bump

Rich Johnson

So I hit a bump in the road last night on my front left wheel and all of a sudden my sterring was jumping all over the place. I totally lost controll of my truck. I had to completely stop. I got out to check with a flashlight. Everything was still conntected so I drove home slowly and then jacked it up and checked the wheels (recent wheel bearing break up coming back to mind) nothing was loose.

Other than suspecting the steering stabilizer shock is bad because it looks like its leaking, I havent found anything that would have caused the violent spasm with my steering.

Truck is driving and steering fine like it never happened.

Anybody got any input?

rlwm211

You survived what sounds like a serious case of a death wobble.

I would say the steering stabilizer is shot and I would check the tie rod ends for play.

If the drag link from the left front knuckle has play it can lead to this.

Additionally a very loose steering gear can help create this.

I doubt seriously if it is related at all the the bearings directly.

Oversized tires, or rims with a lot of offset to the outside can aggravate handling and increase the tendency to enter into this wobble.

If you recall, many 4x4's with big tires have two stabilizers instead of one
to help deal with both the wobble and also bounce steer when off road.

Hope this helps....

RL

DokWatson

Check bolts holding steering box to frame, tighten them. With someone watching the steering box, move your wheel from lock to lock. The steering box should NOT move. A little play is too much.

Check bolts holding steering block to axle, tighten them.

Check pitman arm, tighten it.

Check u-bolts, tighten them.

Check shackle bolts (Holds your leaf springs on) make sure they aren't broken or bent, tighten them.

Check tie rod, and tie rod ends. Tighten the castle nuts, make sure the cotter pins are in place. With the truck jacked up, push on the wheel and see if it moves WITHOUT moving the other wheel. A little play is too much.

TIGHTEN EVERYTHING. GREASE EVERYTHING.

The steering stabilizer can hide the bigger problems. Not saying it isn't necessary, you should still replace it.

Make sure tires are balanced.

If you still have issues, its very easy to replace the kingpin spring and bushing. You can find a lot of guides if you google it. If you do that and still have problems, you can be almost certain its a castor or toe issue.

Rich Johnson

Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like something is loose or worn out and I didnt find it on my first check. Ille tighten everything up and replace the stabilizer. Not sure what the other parts are or how to go about replacing them yet but Ille find out if they have play and get them repaced.

I know what the kingpin is (I think) but I dont know that is has a spring.

DokWatson

Thanks for all the tips. Sounds like something is loose or worn out and I didnt find it on my first check. Ille tighten everything up and replace the stabilizer. Not sure what the other parts are or how to go about replacing them yet but Ille find out if they have play and get them repaced.

I know what the kingpin is (I think) but I dont know that is has a spring.
Kingpin spring is what creates preload on the steering knuckle. The springs are constantly compressed and get shorter over time which is no good. The preload is supposed to allow the knucke to rotate after 25 foot pounds has been applied to it. Probably too much info than you need though.

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/9222/dscn1724z.jpg

Thats what my old spring looked like on the right, next to a new one.

ohfisherman

stabilizer would be my guess. i sold autoparts for 9 years and gm trucks ate these things up like potato chips. moog brand is around $70.00. you can get a house brand, like federated, for about 30.00. moog is usually lifetime. house brands are 1 year. 5 minute fix. just did my 2 out of 3 trucks last month.

ralbelt

I had the death wobble and replaced the stabilizer and rotated the tires and it has not come back, been about 8 months. I did check all the front end components and all was tight. Of course the pot holes are getting to be the size of a small car so I will see in the next few months if all is good.

Cucvnut

Stablizers just cover up death wobble its not a permanint fix. You can change it out but you still need to change the king pin spri.gs

SmokeyDod

I had same DW problem and as a quick temp fix I replaced the steering stabilizer. I went to Advance Auto and they gave me one that looked identical to the oem on truck. I put it on and less them month, same problem. I went back to Advance & told them I wanted HD one. They gave me part # SC2913 @ $34.99 ea. I was same black color BUT it was about 1/4" larger outside dia. It has been on for now for 2-3 yrs. and NO problems. I have not changed any king pin parts yet. I have put that specfic stablizer on 3 other trucks I sold and no one has mentioned any problem yet.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Death Wobble

Just curious if you ever solved your problem. I have the same issue with my 85 M1008 but it comes and goes as it pleases. Some days it does it every 5-10 minutes, other times I can go weeks with out it happening. Also, anyone know why I keep blowing my number three glow plug, driver side? Ive replaced it 3 times in three months. All 7 others are fine. Thanks.

Rich Johnson

I havent had a death wobble since, but I drove it for 7 months without it over alot of bumps too.

I plan to replace the kingpin spring things as previously mentioned because I believe no doubt that is the root of the cause and that like said here, the damper masks the true problem.

rlwm211

The damper does serve to prevent impacts on one side from adversely affecting the other tie rod ends and kingpins or ball joints. While you may consider that it masks a problem, it is essential in controlling and dampening vibrations and the like in the steering system.

I would point out also that the damper helps tame bump steer as well. If you notice, the big lift kits and huge tired 4x4s can have two or more Dampers on the steering on brand new equipment.

Just a few thoughts.
RL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks