• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 very loud cold start. any ideas???

ROB L3

i have owned many cucv's and have delt with many issues and thought i have seen them all. but i just picked up a 1008 from virginia with 61000 miles.when i start the truck it sounds very loud compared to any others ive owned.after it has warmed up it is quiet under load but gets noisy when letting up on the pedal.judging by the grime on the top of the ip it doesnt apper to have been tampered with.the timing marks are lined up.one other thing that happened was i took off down the road under hard acceleration and let off the pedal for a second and when i accelerated again the engine was dead for about 5 seconds.acted like a pluged fuel filter.has anyone had this issue?thanks

charlietango

my 1009 is always freakishly loud when it is cold temperature at start up. really clacks and complains until it warms up... from what my shop said it is normal for the 6.2. It also has a smooth noise under load down the highway. Let off the throttle then re-apply she clacks again until back to speed. again I was told that was normal for a 6.2.

I had a problem with a latent throttle. You know the piece that you adjust the idle? It is a screw that pushes on the throttle plate (dont know its name) and it was bent out of place. adjusted it and it was fine. I also had the opposite problem of the throttle getting stuck on and it was the same zone. throttle would depress and that screw would basically get stuck and keep the throttle on when the pedal was released. lube fixed that one. but that being said it could also be 20 other things.

Last edited:

ROB L3

that sounds about the same as mine.i have owned about 30 of these in the last year and this is the only one that sounds like this.they are all noisy but not like this,almost sounds like standing next to my 818

ROB L3

its like preignition knock evenly on all eight cyl.it runs smooth and steady.it really sounds like your standing next to a semi tractor.its not the exhaust its new and very quiet and it is not a rattle from something lose.i see there is another thread about this,mabe someone will shed some light on this.

steved454

Someone else on the site had a problem like that and it was the diesel fuel in it. they added some of the lubrication additives in it that helped. One guy is putting 2 cycle oil in every tank.

Just a thought. Good luck with finding out what it is.

zyrtecx

My M1009 has 36,000 miles and it is loud on a cold start and was also pretty loud when it warmed up under a load.
So, I starting adding 1 ounce of 2 cycle engine oil to the diesel and it has this has really made the engine quite... I use the 2 cycle
oil wally world, about $10.00 for a gallon... You might want to give it a try! I think that I may starting adding 1 1/2 to 2 ounces per gallon since it runs so good on 1 ounce and the diesel these days was very little sulfur.

kipman

I just changed the pump and injectors on my 1009, it rattles hard under acceleration, is sound fine at constant speed, I run two stroke oil in the fuel, it does have a lot more power now. I am thinking the rattle is from the new pump and injectors.