• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 vin question

v8jeeptj

Buying a m1008 tomorrow but had a quick question about the vin. The vin on the door post has been scratched out and there is a new plate rivited just above the factory one. The guy I am buying it from said it is supposed to be like this since it is a military vehicle.

Is ther any truth to this?

aspann

Welcome to SS V8 Jeep! By the way, check out all the FAQ and all the stickies at the top of the forum, also Jatonks site for the manuals.

Last edited:

OL AG '89

If the sticker is stillin truck check on the drivers side of the engine bay, both mine (M1009's) have the build sticker on the top of the fender well. The ONLY guarenteed location is as WESTECH pointed out, under the windshield driver's side.
I think if I read his original post he stated the VIN on the "door post" was scratched out, not on the door itself. Regardless, check the plate under the window and if your lucky enough the sticker will still be on the fender well in the engine bay.

And WELCOME to the addiction!!

markg

If the sticker is stillin truck check on the drivers side of the engine bay, both mine (M1009's) have the build sticker on the top of the fender well. The ONLY guarenteed location is as WESTECH pointed out, under the windshield driver's side.
I think if I read his original post he stated the VIN on the "door post" was scratched out, not on the door itself. Regardless, check the plate under the window and if your lucky enough the sticker will still be on the fender well in the engine bay.

And WELCOME to the addiction!!
they moved the build sheet to the glove box door in 85. of course they are removed /gone in a lot of cases. the vin on the dash should match the door post but i have had exceptions to this because the post plate can be easily removed. the vin is also stamped on the frame somewhere. i have never needed to look. if you have a truck with a matching door, cab, dash, and glovebox/inner fender, feel very lucky. in states where a title is expensive to get this problem will get worse. in texas a bonded title is less than 150.00.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be a VIN on the cowl under the glass right by the left side A pillar. Compare that one to the title.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen them change the Unit Number but not the VIN number.

I had a M1009 that they changed the unit numbers and "added" a new data plate to the door jamb.

Can you post a picture of the door jamb dataplate?

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Kinda on subject, has anyone ever encountered a M1008 with a 15 digit VIN? Ive had my truck for 4 months now and can't get it registered because the VIN is short one number. My insurance company insured it but only cuz I just slapped a 1 in front of the VIN and they bought that but DMV isnt.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the 15 digin VIN on the title or on the vehicle?

Where did you get the truck? Did you fill out the SF-97 for GL? Where did the title come from?

Someone screwed up as GM issued 17 digit VIN numbers starting in 1981

Last edited:

markg

Kinda on subject, has anyone ever encountered a M1008 with a 15 digit VIN? Ive had my truck for 4 months now and can't get it registered because the VIN is short one number. My insurance company insured it but only cuz I just slapped a 1 in front of the VIN and they bought that but DMV isnt.
can you post it ?, i can tell you what it should be. here is an example. 1gcgd 34 j x gf xxxxxx. you have to have the first 8 just like this, then the 9th can be 0-9 or x. 10th is e,f or g, and maybe h depending on year, 11th is f, then sequence of six. let me know

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
The 'vin of record' will be the plate on the drivers side dash near the A pillar.

The data plate on the b pillar in side the driver side inside the door jam should match.

There should also be one on the frame but I have yet to find out exactly where it is at on the frame.

As for the 15 digit vin, post the info to the vin info thread and we'll see what we can find.

cfish

My M1009 has the vin number under the glass and in the glove box, which I assume is the build sheet. It lists all the options put on. Also, I saw in another post about VIN numbers that GH or some combination of numbers meant that the vehicle was equipped with lockers or not? Is that correct. My vin has EH instead! If I remeber correct!

markg

My M1009 has the vin number under the glass and in the glove box, which I assume is the build sheet. It lists all the options put on. Also, I saw in another post about VIN numbers that GH or some combination of numbers meant that the vehicle was equipped with lockers or not? Is that correct. My vin has EH instead! If I remeber correct!
i dont have a clue what your talking abou:cookoo:t . the rpo code for gm's locking differential is G80. on 1028's the 4th charactor of the vin is an h instead of a g for the 1008, with the former having traclok in the front. thanks. mark

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Form the CUCV FAQ:

4th digit = GVWR/Brake System
-- E = 6001 - 7000 Hydraulic
-- F = 7001 - 8000
-- G = 8001 - 9000
-- H = 9001 - 10000

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 'vin of record' will be the plate on the drivers side dash near the A pillar.

The data plate on the b pillar in side the driver side inside the door jam should match.

There should also be one on the frame but I have yet to find out exactly where it is at on the frame.

As for the 15 digit vin, post the info to the vin info thread and we'll see what we can find.
Yeah, see what CARNAC can find out. He can usually do wonders!

The VIN in the lower dash (A Piller) on the drivers side is the place the state guys will use for a visual inspection.

Good Luck!

cfish

i dont have a clue what your talking abou:cookoo:t . the rpo code for gm's locking differential is G80. on 1028's the 4th charactor of the vin is an h instead of a g for the 1008, with the former having traclok in the front. thanks. mark

Yep, you know what they say about old age, memory is the first to go! Read another post awhile back refering to codes on vin. Yep got my numbers discombobulated.
Thanks for straighting things out!

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
The 15 digit VIN comes from the tag on the dash. I bought the truck from a local dealer who bought a bunch from Fort Leonardwood, MO. The title from him had a 1 in the front of it but doesnt match the tag. And its an 85'. I applied for the title 2 months ago and still havent received it so Im not sure whats happening there.

markg

The 15 digit VIN comes from the tag on the dash. I bought the truck from a local dealer who bought a bunch from Fort Leonardwood, MO. The title from him had a 1 in the front of it but doesnt match the tag. And its an 85'. I applied for the title 2 months ago and still havent received it so Im not sure whats happening there.
the tag on the dash should have a one as the first charactor, and should be 17 digits long, sometimes they are hard to read, clean it or remove the dash where you can get to it better. if its an 85 there will be two f's in a row(10th and 11th digit). , then 6 numbers thanks. mark

Last edited:

SmokeyDod

All the cucv's M1009 & all versions of M-1008, 1010, 1028 & 1031 vin #s start with a #1 as that means it's made in USA. They were made from 1983-86 or 87?. All of the vin numbers have 17 digits. Vehicles before 1981 had 15 digits or less. The first 11 digits of vin describe info. about the vehicle. As to the 4th digit being a "H" or "G" pertains to the weight factors of truck. If it is a "H" means that it will be either a M-1028, or M-1031 or a M-1010 Ambulance. The 1028 & 1031 were issue with the limited slip front Dana 60 called "Trac-Loc". It is not a pure "locker" like the rear end 14-bolt w/Detroit locker, instead it has the "clutch pak". However, the M=1010 Amb. has the "H" BUT it refers to the weight only and DOES NOT have the "trac-loc" but it is same as the M-1008 (open type diff)

To "CARNAC" The last 6 digits is what they call vehicle "serial #". It is where they assign a unique # to the actual frame of the truck. I have heard it is put on more than one place on the truck but I have only found one place and it only has the last 6 digits "stamped" on the top side of the frame without any indication that it is part of the vin # at all. On the truck & I assume on the blazer frame also (I just have not looked yet), it is located on as said on the rh side rail (pass). You will need a mirror to see it as it is on top of frame, where the frame starts angling down from the back of truck to the front. It will be right under where your butt sits. The area is only a couple of inches clearance so that's why you need mirror. You can feel it with your fingers, then use your mirror. You made also note some #'s stamped on side of frame close to where these are, but I think those are some GM part numbers.

Hope this helps.
Smokey