• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1008 Won't start ???

l1a1man

Batteries fully charged, when key is in the on position all internal lights go on like normal. When going to start the dog head relay does not ckick, we replaced it and nothing. Starter rebuilt and installed, still nothing. Any thoughts? No turn over. Was running great last time it started.

Westech

CPL
well I know whats wrong.. something is broken. Trying to figure out a starting problem over the net is like trying to do surgery with your eyes closed. This one is up to you. Get the TM and start from there if you are not mechanically inclined.

rnd-motorsports

I think I would check to see if the red wire has 24 volt at the relay? may need to pull from under dash to check. If yes then check to see if purple with white stripe has 12 volt when you turn key to crank. If not check neutral safety switch put in neutral and try its on the steering column under dash if all is good check to see if the purple wire has 24 volt when you crank. if not bad relay they are man made! let us know

Hasdrubal

Something similiar happened to me once. Got in my M1009, went to start and no joy. Had to jump the starter with a wire and 2 roach clips to get home. It seemed like it just wouldn't rotate thru the last 1/4 inch and engage the start circuit. Turned out the ignition lock cylinder had an internal failure, part of the pot metal construction had broken off and got jammed in there, if I remember correctly. Replaced the ignition cylinder.

ranchhopper

Sometimes the connection where the 8 gauge wire that supplies power to the plastic two pin block on the firewall attaches at the battery terminal corrodes cutting the power check it.

edpdx

rnd-motorsports said:

I think I would check to see if the red wire has 24 volt at the relay? may need to pull from under dash to check. YES it does.
If yes then check to see if purple with white stripe has 12 volt when you turn key to crank. NO, only 10.5 volts.
If not check neutral safety switch put in neutral and try it on the steering column under dash I don't understand what you are meaning. if all is good check to see if the purple wire has 24 volt when you crank. if not bad relay they are man made! let us know

M1008driver

I would get my multimeter and check my batteries. Make sure the grounds are clean and on tight. It seems these vehicles must have a good ground or they won't start. Then start searching troubleshooting in the TM's while I was waiting for an answer.

TM 9-2320-289-20

Pages 2-39

Starting:
Cranks but will not start
High-pitched whine
Slow cranking
Unusual noise during cranking
Will not crank

It is probably not your neutral safety switch, but a search will show you what and where it is.

Last edited:

usmcpatriot

I have the same problem...I have 10.34v at the purple w/white stripe with the key in the start position...need to go to my thread...."Doghead Mod Backfire" as I am being helped there....goodluck!