• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 Fuel Leak

CucvFML

Originally i had a small fuel leak fixed. Its an 85 from michigan so naturally the tank was pure rust. Now, one month later on a trip to tennessee i noticed, while filling up, the same small leak. After paying i returned to find a puddle of diesel under my 09. Is it possible to overfill an 09? My fuel gauge works fine, and was only reading a hair past F.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How did you fix the leak the first time? The best fix, is a new tank.

CucvFML

Its coming from around the tank. I cant see exactly where, it pools up in the skid plate. The puddles vary depending on the angle when parked. Brand new tank, less than 2 months old. Had it leak tested before the swap.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe your sending unit seal is not sealing?

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I'd drop the tank down and take a look it it, it could be a defect. I had a parts blazer so rusty the tank sprung a leak just sitting in the drive way. :shock:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the first time you've filled it full, since the changeout?

Did you do the work?

Did you replace the sending unit also? And buy a new seal and ring?

CucvFML

Did not do the work myself. It is the first time it was filled since the replacement went in. I dont believe the sending unit was replaced, seal ring either. Its down to a half tank now, and still appears to be leaking. Going through detroit in a 1009, at 70mph, is a rough ride. It drove fine for the next 600 miles though, so it couldnt be a fuel line, could it?

ryan77

Does it leak only when running or when parked? Is it running fine? Check the clam and hose from the fuel filler neck to the tank!!!!

CucvFML

It seems to leak while running, and when parked. Hose and clamp are good, they look brand new, and dont feel loose at all. Why would it leak when parked, at a half tank? Brand new fuel tank.

ryan77

If it leaks when running i would check the fuel lines from the hard line to the tank, but usually if it leaks it will run bad due to sucking air. Get a flashlight and start looking.

Dmoser

I had a bad fuel leak on my oh9 for a few months (didnt have the time to fix it for a while). There were several small holes on the dead center bottom of the tank. had to drop the tank to get this to work properly but i bought a fuel tank repair kit from NAPA. fixed it back in september of last year and it hasnt leaked since. Inspect your tank really good and then buy the kit if it is a hole in the tank. It is hard to work with because it sets and cures so fast (just a heads up). The PN for the kit is BK 7651546.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks