• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 leaf spring choices

rsh4364

Front: 3 leaf 1400 lb.spring or 4 leaf 1900 lb.spring ? Rear 5 leaf 1900 lb.spring or 6 leaf 2350 lb.spring ? The 3 leaf front and 5 leaf rear are stock on the 1009. Wondering how bad ride would be with the heavier rate springs.

Last edited:

rodent

It will ride rougher. The best riding spring is going to be your leaf springs with many thin leafs. Its a night and day difference between a set of custom ORD springs and off the shelf or stock springs. The only issue with the custom springs is cost but If you really want a good riding spring then stick with the thinner leafs. If you're hauling heavy weight, then thats a different story.

http://offroaddesign.com/catalog/ORD Custom Springs.JPG

cucvrus

DSCF3238 (1).jpgDSCF3237 (1).jpgHey Rick how about a 4" lift kit 4 leaf spring system complete in Pennsylvania? For the price of 2 new rear stock leaf springs? Trade. Then you can run with the big dogs and get big tires. That entire M1009 BODY is sprayed in Line X check out the design.

LastFbody

Did the stock height 3 leaf packs on my front. Raised the front up a good 3 inches over my worn out originals, ride quality didn't seem to change for better or worse.

Think mine were made by a company called Triangle.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Triangle Springs are excellent quality.
They are also a ISO certified company.

Where did you get your springs?

LT67

My M1008 and 79 K20 flatbed truck both have brand new 4 leaf factory type springs. They're a little stiff at first, but once the break in they're comfortable. Tire size also plays a role in ride comfort.....

1517699482537.jpg 14305.jpeg

LastFbody

Triangle Springs are excellent quality.
They are also a ISO certified company.

Where did you get your springs?
Got mine from a local old school suspension shop. They do mostly busses and semis, but they'll do the odd pickup or Blazer in my case. It wasn't a job I trusted myself to do correctly.

Those 4 leaf packs are probably not a bad idea really, the 6.2 diesel is heavier than a 454 even. I feel like GM may have gone not quite heavy duty enough on the original springs all for comfort's sake.

Last edited:

cucvrus

My experience in shipping and crating engines for shipment be it a small block , big block, or Light duty diesel. They are all with in 50 -100 lbs of each other. 100 pounds added to a set springs don't make that much/huge difference. That's like driving alone or with a passenger and a young light one at that. The 4 ply on front have 1/4" deflection with a large Fisher plow as outlined in my Mr Rusty build. They make no difference in ride quality but do set the truck nice and level. With out the plow they seem to stiffen it up nice. But as is new springs 3 or 4 play are new springs. they make the difference. Re-arching is a bandaid repair. I had a local guy sell me on that 2 years later back down at same height. Metal fatigue can not be reversed. Like fixing rust. It comes back with a vengeance. Have a Great Day.

rsh4364

Thanks Rick, I think I will stick with new factory springs with factory rates front and rear and add ord 1" zero rates front and rear along with their poly bushings that are grease able. Not looking for much lift, just a nice ride.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks