• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 on WMO

ccf460

I am wanting to pull the trigger on a 1009 ( would be my first mv). The
main reason (besides it is a way cool suv), is to burn WMO. I did a search on
1009's on wmo, but the threads seem to get hijacked by all the big truck
owners with multi fuel engines. I really need to hear from 1008 & 1009
owners who have experience with this topic so I can make an educated
decision. Please don't take offense, big truck owners, as I envy the ability
your vehicles have.

Westech

CPL
you are able to run a 6.2 on 50% WMO and be safe. Here is the problem... The injection pumps dont like it. You will need to filter down to 6 or less microns and the pump will prob still fail. The stock injection pumps are at death's door when you first get a CUCV. There 25 plus years old and they will take a dump. After you get a new/rebuilt pump still Filter down to less the 6 microns and have fun.

kentuckycucv

I have put 30k on my truck burning a mixture of streight filtered down to 20 microns and occasionly wmo when I have it. varience in the diesel fuel to concoction ratio. Today it is about 10% diesel 20%wmo 70% wvo. I have learned on here that the stock fuel filter on a cucv is 20 Microns. So I filter down to 20 microns. I will report when I waste my injector pump. but so far so good.

idM1028

@ccf460 My Haynes Diesel Engine Repair Manual specifically warns against trying to repair the injection pump. The DIY procedures on the IP are limited to removing and installing fuel lines, removing and installing injection nozzles, testing the governor weight retainer ring, removing and installing the pump, adjusting the static timing, adjusting the idle speeds and adjusting the vacuum regulator valve. Like it's been said, if goes out, might as well just get a rebuilt one.

Iceman3005

@ccf460 My Haynes Diesel Engine Repair Manual specifically warns against trying to repair the injection pump. The DIY procedures on the IP are limited to removing and installing fuel lines, removing and installing injection nozzles, testing the governor weight retainer ring, removing and installing the pump, adjusting the static timing, adjusting the idle speeds and adjusting the vacuum regulator valve. Like it's been said, if goes out, might as well just get a rebuilt one.

Ya and the haynes manual says not too rebuild the transmission either, take it too a transmission shop.............boy were they wrong, was very easy even for my first one. I find that it says that for a lot of things on a vehicle.............again there way off!

rnd-motorsports

Yes filter the wmo! Even the diesel fuel of today will trash a pump it doesn't have the lubricants it did in the 80s. I run about 40% wmo and diesel fuel and have no problem.:driver: do not even change the fuel filter any more often.

BobMassive

You cannot over filter. I recently built a rig that uses a 100, then 25, then 1, then .5 absolute micron filter bags. Available cheap from filtersource. Then I have a 10 micron water separator on my outbound pump line. Also have a racor 10 micron on the truck. I have run up to 50/50 with no problems. A little extra smoke maybe but what fun is a diesel that doesn't smoke!

Yes filter the wmo! Even the diesel fuel of today will trash a pump it doesn't have the lubricants it did in the 80s. I run about 40% wmo and diesel fuel and have no problem.:driver: do not even change the fuel filter any more often.
ok so im still wet behind the ears on this WMO thing. So you are filtering your WMO and just dumping it in the tank? Am I missing something? Seems to me like that would jack something up? If it's as easy as filtering WMO and dumping it in the tank, then Im all for it.

2deuce

I ran mine about 2k miles on waste atf and old varnished gas from a wrecking yard. 2k was the limit. It carboned up and began to lose power bad. Boy did that concoction stink. It would take a jogger to her knees in the blue cloud. It was by far the worst smelling stuff I ever witnessed coming from a exhaust pipe. The glow plugs would erode, the stuff was boiling on them. I ran straight diesel and cleaned it out but it took quite a few miles to get it all out. I went another 10k on straight diesel and the IP went out, but after I put a newer one in I could tell the difference in performance before I tried the free stuff experiment. The pump was weak when I originally got the truck compared to the one in it now. I probably will mix half diesel with it next time.

2deuce

I forgot to add mileage was bad and power was down to 70% or less of normal but it would get up to freeway speeds. I haven't gone back to it because I didn't think adding diesel to my concoction would payoff enough to make it worthwhile in the work involved and if the MPH still suffered and your now buying diesel the savings might be less than ideal. What I thought might work is run one tank of junk then 1 tank of diesel to clean. Now that diesel is so high I'm back to thinking about it again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks