• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1009 to the rescue!

Ghost2012

So I was driving back home from a drive on beach (already pushed one guy out in a S-10 Blazer...

And while traveling along this road used frequently by fishermen (Hecksher Drive for those that know Jacksonville)...

I came across a Chevy 1500 (Stockish) Z-71.... Up past its passenger tire in water, as the tide was coming in on the river.

I pulled over and walked past the 40+ people standing on the side of the road gawking... and asked if I could be of assistance.

Apparently, they had gotten a Canyon stuck, snapped two straps and a Excursion on 33's hadn't budged it.

Someone had had the foresight to call a tow truck.

A TWO wheel drive Titan? with a winch and anchored by another Z71 Chevy tried to pull the truck out again, I politely told the bystanders to MOVE just in case the cable snapped.

They couldn't budge the truck and tried to reposition, but the winch gave up the ghost.

Beaten and tired, the trucks pulled out to let the tow truck have a go.

After clearing a path through aforementioned rubber neckers the tow truck hooked up (using ALL of his 150' cable and about FOUR tow chains.

Still didn't budge.

So we hooked the tow truck to the CUCV's (M1009) rear, and I had the Z71 hook up to my front.

Next thing I know we were off (No one gave a word, MORE proper spotters were needed) and the truck was out!

Felt good to help someone... so here's a brief group of points:

1. Don't park at the low tide line.
2. Always carry/use safety equipment. (I had it, but didn't use it)
3. Put something on a winch cable in case it snaps.
4. If you can't help or don't have tools, please back up to a safe distance so we can concentrate on getting the truck out.
5. Check the condition of your tow straps regularly.
6. For the love of everything, Please get at LEAST one rear and one front hard point for towing.
7. Driving a CUCV>any civvy vehicle :D

That is all. :driver:

SGT Estum

This reminds me of an unrelated story.
While camping out at WE-FEST (a 3-day country music outdoor concert type thing), some "DUDES" were trying to jump start a Cadillac CTS with their $50k+ Toyota SUV when some friends and I walked by. We offered to help, but they were a pack of jerks so we just went on our way. When we came back 45 minutes later, the CTS was still dead. We stopped over and asked them what was going on and they said "well, we went to hook up the jumper cables but they started sparking so we stopped!"

Wow. Some people's kids.

Fleg

3. Put something on a winch cable in case it snaps.

This has been debated for years in the 4wd community. You can not predict where a tow line will snap so the best thing to do is keep away from it.

Putting something on the line (a jacket, etc...) is just a false sense of security, distance is your friend. A better answer is to replace the cable on your winch with a rope.

Ghost2012

This has been debated for years in the 4wd community. You can not predict where a tow line will snap so the best thing to do is keep away from it.

Putting something on the line (a jacket, etc...) is just a false sense of security, distance is your friend. A better answer is to replace the cable on your winch with a rope.
I agree with part one. Such is why we encouraged them to move back.

Part two, is sometimes all you can do as people are sometimes too stupid/drunk to know to move despite us trying multiple times. Even with a syn line, it would still pull the rope down which is where we want it, as well as giving us an indicator as to where the line is so no one (hopefully) walks into it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks