• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100DOLLARMAN's 1st Bobbed 5 Ton!!!

100dollarman

I understand the dollars and cents of business... Wish there were another way. Ford made a lot of 65' mustangs and they are hard to find now. Someday these will be too. But I do understand the money issue. At least they are not going to the crusher! AS a side not.... I have a bobbed deuce. It is what attracted me to this hobby, so maybe this is a blessing in disguise.

Thanks-

On a brighter note- it will be one baddass truck when its done!!![thumbzup]

Rgdl

I appreciate you guys that dont want to cut it because it is a nice one--- but we only BOB nice ones!!! I always pick out the best trucks to use. My customers WANT a GOOD truck, not a POS!

Honestly, if I could make a living selling non-bobbed trucks, I would. Last year was so slow that I decided to do more 'bobbers' this year to help keep business rolling. It is what people want, and it keeps me and my employees fed.

BTW- if anyone wants a nice 5 ton or 2.5-- I have them in stock!

It's not like there's a shortage of 2.5 and 5-ton 6x6s around that are in nice shape. There are plenty out there, and many of them are for sale all the time through various sources. If you hate to see one being bobbed, buy one and preserve it. It seems like many of those who are against modifications to these trucks don't even actually own one themselves.

The problem is most who want these trucks are too cheap to pay $7500 for one in really nice shape. If you think it's such a rare breed then paying top dollar shouldn't be an issue. You can't have it both ways.

Back on topic....Hundy, what will you be using for rear suspension?

100dollarman

Back on topic....Hundy, what will you be using for rear suspension?[/quote]

I dont have it all figured out yet--- When the customer bought it, he asked if we can bob it-- I told him we had never done a 5 ton, but I am sure that we can do it-- Now I am going to do some research here on a few others that have been done and also take a closer look at the truck to see what will be the best way to do it. I have some front 5 ton springs that possibly will be used. We can fab up most any kind of bracket, bracing, driveshaft, etc. And I am of the school that you "can" weld on a frame, so get ready for that debate!

:):):):):) (Five for a 5 ton)

jbingvtx

Hundy, you and your crew do great work. I would love to see a beautifull 5-ton like that in my yard next to the deuce...and I will one day. Keep your customers smiling, keep your crew working, and keep cranking out the cool trucks.

rwbrown72

It's not like there's a shortage of 2.5 and 5-ton 6x6s around that are in nice shape. There are plenty out there, and many of them are for sale all the time through various sources. If you hate to see one being bobbed, buy one and preserve it. It seems like many of those who are against modifications to these trucks don't even actually own one themselves.

There is never a shortage until there is a shortage. Think about that one. I did buy one to preserve. I'm not bashing anyone, just my opinion. Like I said, it may be a blessing in disguise. Bobbing these trucks may bring in more people and save more trucks. We have a similar problem with aircraft and flight training: How to balance cost with safety as well as bring in new people. The answers are above my pay grade... RWB out.

P.S. Safety always comes first!!!!

Garandfan

Hey hundy, my b-day is 2 days..... Got a C turbo? Gettin ready to wrap up a head gasket job on my Big Ugly! A bobbed 5T will be neat! Can't wait to see a finished product! I'd say cut the 5T's bed as opposed to trailer bed.

AdvancedArmsLLC

I wonder if people are going to look back 30 years from now an ask WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

I say that all the time when a sporterized mauser or US Enfield crosses my path....back in the day people turned perfectly good military rifles into wannabe hunting rifles. ....makes me twitch...

I hope that the BOB does not equal the Sporter

That aside, the BOBs do look fun.

Last edited:

Pappa-G

I say GET OUT THE TORCH!!![thumbzup] I used 5 ton front springs on mine and treated 4x4s beneath the m105 bed. Its a fun project I am sure you will enjoy.
Best of Luck!!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with the guys who said that they wished that the bobbers would use the lesser trucks if they will be cut up. I TOTALLY understand, however, why they don't. They want a clean truck and the cleaneast intact trucks will result in the cleanest bobbed trucks. With that said, man, find a tractor to bob. Tractors...nice ones...are all over the place. I have no idea what you paid for that M813, but I would bet there would have to be someone out there who would give you $7-9K for it.

I completely agree that one day these trucks are going to be more scarce. It is hard to believe now, but the guy with the 65 Mustang analogy is right on. The XZLs are a perfect example of scarcity. For a while, NO ONE wanted anything to do with the 1600s. I have been looking for new XZLs for my HEMTT for almost two years, but I had a h*** of a time finding them because a lot of the guys are putting them on their 5 tons (bobbed or not) and bobbed deuces. Anyway, the "run" on XZLs really caused me some problems finding them for my HEMTT...the correct truck for those tires. I finally found a set of eight brand new XZLs...but it took a while...and I had to pay out the a** for them. I am not trying to cry on anyone's shoulder here; I am only pointing out that part/truck scarcity will, and does, occur!

hklvette

I agree with the guys who said that they wished that the bobbers would use the lesser trucks if they will be cut up. I TOTALLY understand, however, why they don't. They want a clean truck and the cleaneast intact trucks will result in the cleanest bobbed trucks. With that said, man, find a tractor to bob. Tractors...nice ones...are all over the place. I have no idea what you paid for that M813, but I would bet there would have to be someone out there who would give you $7-9K for it.

I completely agree that one day these trucks are going to be more scarce. It is hard to believe now, but the guy with the 65 Mustang analogy is right on. The XZLs are a perfect example of scarcity. For a while, NO ONE wanted anything to do with the 1600s. I have been looking for new XZLs for my HEMTT for almost two years, but I had a h*** of a time finding them because a lot of the guys are putting them on their 5 tons (bobbed or not) and bobbed deuces. Anyway, the "run" on XZLs really caused me some problems finding them for my HEMTT...the correct truck for those tires. I finally found a set of eight brand new XZLs...but it took a while...and I had to pay out the a** for them. I am not trying to cry on anyone's shoulder here; I am only pointing out that part/truck scarcity will, and does, occur!
I agree with BKubu. If the truck was brought to you by someone to have bobbed, see if they'd be willing to sell it and get a tractor to bob. Might even cost them less in the long run. I've seen many more tractors than 813s, so they're less likely to become very scarce.

my 2cents

Pappa-G

How does she ride with those springs in the rear?
WAY better than the stock dual axel configuration. I am sure much of that was the larger tires( 16.00x20's with 45 psi up front & 35 in the rears ). It rides better still with some weight in the box.

I had a buddy who bobbed one years ago and he made a bracket that held the rear of the leaf and had an airbag on it. The front of the leaf was mounted conventional but the rear rode on the airbag. That thing rode like a dream.

hughscpa

I am very interested in seeing the pics on this one. I run the bobbed duece here at work and would love to tackle a 5 ton. I just have to convince the board a health department needs another military truck!!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I say GET OUT THE TORCH!!![thumbzup] I used 5 ton front springs on mine and treated 4x4s beneath the m105 bed. Its a fun project I am sure you will enjoy.
Best of Luck!!

I can say from first hand knowledge of seeing it in person last month Nick's truck is pretty good looking. MY wife was impressed with how tall the tires are on it.

:)

steve

91W350

I want a 5 ton, that is no secret and eventually it will happen. I wanted a bobbed truck until I saw that M817 on 16.00s.... I am thinking a conversion to singles would do me just fine! A M818 on singles with a shortened Deuce bed would be super.....

As far as using a nice truck to build a bobber, it is just like anything else, in the long run a nice truck is easier to work on, cheaper to convert, and has fewer hidden challenges and nasty surprises.

I put several 454s out of mid 70s and 80's Chevy pickups in 1965 to 1972 Chevy muscle cars. The purists puked, but even they drooled over the end result. They always brought good money, much better than a 350 or 307 did, even with the dreaded narrowed 9" Ford rear differential. It is all good, I would rather work with a nice truck and in the end, I would rather have my bobber come from a nice truck. I do see both sides though.

I am hereby subscribed and anxious to see what you do. Thanks for sharing, Glen

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In my opinion, the guy with the nicest bobber is Jesse (CRUZINZ28). Why do I think his is the nicest? Because it looks stock! He has larger tires, but they are the 395s (I believe) on M35A3 rims (they look like they belong on the truck). The bed is off of an M105 like most guys'. His trucks just looks bada**! IF I were going to own one, that is what I would want. We all have different tastes. I am not saying that another guys truck is not nice. I tend to like stock trucks so I naturally gravitated toward the stock looking bobber. If you have not seen Jesse's truck, I suggest you ask for pics. It is really nice and I love the CBC shelter in the bed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks