• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100DOLLARMAN's 1st Bobbed 5 Ton!!!

100dollarman

Well, after all of this discussion, it looks like my buyer FLAKED on me!aua

Gave deposit back. Slight chance he might still take it, but it is AVAILABLE for sale while he works out his issues.

So---- if anyone wants to "save" it, now is your chance!!! ($7500) (if I put that in ( ) its like whispering...and not advertising!:wink:)

I am kinda bummed because I was excited about doing my first 5 ton bob. But, these things happen sometimes-- its not the first time a customer had to bail on a deal (something about the other half throwing a fit:confused:)

I still want to do a 5 ton, but I have a couple of 2.5s to do first. We'll see where I'm at in a few weeks... I have a couple of other 818s in the yard too.

Thanks to everyone for their input--- I'll report any progress!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Someone should grab that truck. $7500 for a clean M813 is a good deal...especially one where the other guy took the risk and you know it is a runner!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Too bad its on the wrong coast:cry:

I've been trying not to say anything about this but I just can't help myself...LOL:|

I can't say I'm not a fan of modifying trucks...cause we have built 2 Vietnam Era Guntrucks....but I consider that a little different.
But yes...they are modified MVs so....
Shoot...I/we try hard to keep an MV as close to original as possible and just don't even consider "bobbing" stuff.

Having said all that...I have seen some interesting "bob jobs" that look quite professional and retain the "MV" look...but it just ain't my cup of tea.:shock:

Attachments

wehring

tempting

Now this is tempting. How much will you charge to get it to Bob's? I will be back in 3 weeks...

Justin Wehring
979 997 3112

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WAY better than the stock dual axel configuration. I am sure much of that was the larger tires( 16.00x20's with 45 psi up front & 35 in the rears ). It rides better still with some weight in the box.
Is 45/35 safe on 16.00x20 goodyears at 55-60MPH? The tire shop advised me to not go under 70. I have not found any sidewall heating, but the ratings chart for the tires has a set of figures for PSI, load, and max speed in each row, and the only row with 55 is the 110PSI row. Which makes the ride very hard indeed.

Page 75:
At 62MPH, the AT-2A 16.00x20 Goodyear tire is rated -14% load as at 55MPH.

I have attached the book to clarify my questions or statements.

Attachments

Last edited:

davidkroberts

The 'How to Bob it" has me more intrested. I just saw pics from a guy who just cut the other axle free. Which sounds really dangerous until i thought about it. Isnt that basically the same setup that older jeeps used (mighty mite)used? Just thinking out loud and really do want to hear how other guys think this would work. If it does work It could save a ton of time with a torch and allot of headaches.

Attachments

jesusgatos

The 'How to Bob it" has me more intrested. I just saw pics from a guy who just cut the other axle free. Which sounds really dangerous until i thought about it. Isnt that basically the same setup that older jeeps used (mighty mite)used? Just thinking out loud and really do want to hear how other guys think this would work. If it does work It could save a ton of time with a torch and allot of headaches.
Yeah, that's called a quarter-elliptic/al suspension setup. Lots of old Class 8 desert racing trucks and rock-crawlers were built that way. There are better ways to do it, but it's an interesting way to bob a deuce. Assuming it's done well (not going to comment on that pic), I can't see anything wrong with it. The fact that you're going to lose a lot of your payload capacity is obvious to everyone, right? Probably not such a big deal for a bobber anyway, and would almost certainly ride a lot better.

EDIT: I am going to comment on that pic. If I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, that's a hackjob. I don't want anybody thinking that's a good idea. Well, it's not so much that it's a bad idea, it's just poorly executed. Looks like that bracket was welded right to the frame AND the bogey. AND it looks like everything was welded into place after it was bolted to the springpack. Hope nobody ever has to work on that truck, because it's not coming apart. There's also a lot of rotational force on that bracket, and I would want to spread that load out over a much larger area (bigger bracket & backing plate). Also would want to make the brackets so they could be removed and reinstalled. Maybe I'm missing something, but that just doesn't look like it was thought out very well.

Last edited:

davidkroberts

Thanks Gatos, funny i saw a post of your on expedition portal a while back.... small internet world huh. Ill have to read more about that set-up ive never seen it before. Would save allot of time on bobbing a rig

jesusgatos

On a bobbed deuce (or 5-ton), I would be really tempted to just ditch the leafsprings altogether an install a set of coilover shocks. Or maybe airbags. Either way would be easier, and arguably better, than he effort that would go into building a nice quarter-elliptic setup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks