• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

100k Coming

M1009 Fiend

My m1009 is about to hit 100k. What should i do?

I would like to keep this as my weekend warrior rather than my daily driver for now. Ive been putting 200+ miles a week on her for the last 5months an i can tell its starting to hurt. Just put a semi-fresh np208, to replace the original one that was bleeding everywhere.

So 100k, what maintenance things should i do other than read the Tm's? What you guys have done, or wish you could do, Ect?

axlr8

Well, I'd say, wheel bearing check, lubrication procedure, check IP, replace GP's, and last, TURBO HER! If you have time, to freshen her up, you can re ring her heart.

Stonepicker1

It all depends on how much time and money you have.
Like "axlr8" said. Do the wheel bearing, brakes, U-Joint, change the oil in the diffs.
If the engine is good (no blow-by)you might want to change the injectors and maybe the injector pump also.
Or pick-up one of the 6.5L HMMWV engines and do the swap. look at a trans rebuild soon.

M1009 Fiend

Where would be a good place to find a good complete 6.5? I might have the coin to do a full swap.

Yes the trannys starting to make some noise, so that is coming really soon or just a new tranny..

Bill W

Heck
Back in 1997when I flew up to Virginia to pick up my first deuce from Tactical truck he picked me up at the airport in his cucv and it had 180k on the clock and still ran strong, Check the wheel bearings and repack them , check the u-joints., Change all the fluids and happy motoring

M1009 Fiend

Yeah, I know i could get it to run longer but i would like some more power out of her, Make her more trail worthy. More dependable. Im worried the motor will give on me.

Would it be worth it to have the 6.2 rebuilt, then turbo it? I have a line at a sm465/205 set up. With all of the parts needed to swap it but no sure if i want to or not yet..

hilber

The main thing I am hearing on the 6.2 and 6.5's are the harmonic balancers. I have a 94 6.5 turbo that broke the crank at 270,000. I didn't know about the harmonic balancer then, but thanks to this site I now do. I plan to have mine checked shortly as I am nearing 75,000.