• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 cucv

islandguydon

Sharecropper, I can be a good student if you could explain the "rim set up" and the "balance masters".

What "normal" trimming had to be done to your truck..?

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob H - in fact, here in Kentucky during the winter months, it is either wet or snow with very little dry pavement. I have found that the key to performance with the NDT tread is to match tire pressure with vehicle weight. Running 11.00/20 NDT on my M1028, I have determined that 28-32 psi will provide full pavement contact across the tread width and therefore provide the best traction. On slick roads, my M1028 stops better than my wife's Porsche. Of course, the rear disc brakes may contribute to this excellent braking ability, see my thread at http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/52121-rear-disc-brakes.html

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
islandguydon - Balance Masters are used by the U.S. military to automatically balance the entire wheel assembly of HMMWV vehicles. They consist of a thin steel plate which is installed between the hub and wheel, to which is mounted a captive steel tube containing 40 ounces of Mercury. At about 12 mph, the Mercury finds the position of least resistance in the tube, thereby completely balancing the entire wheel assembly. They are kinda pricey however considering you will never have to balance a wheel again, it is worth it to me.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Titan gives the NDCC a 65 MPH speed rating. Admittadly at the specified load rating and full pressure, The speed rating's a crap shoot with only 30psi even on a relatively light vehicle.
and we both know they don't have anywhere near the wet pavement traction of a standard tire.
I'd hate to see someone think that they didn't have a wet/ snow/ sand covered pavement traction issue and end up killing people. Just be careful.

As far as looks, couldn't be better! :beer: I'm still considering 9.00-16's on my M880 which already suffers from lack of wet pavement traction with it's 36-12.50-16.5 Humvee tires.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bob H - for 10 years I ran 11.00/20 NDT on a brand new 1985 K30 1-ton SRW diesel pickup. As long as I maintained correct inflation presures, I had no problems in handling and braking. I intend to maintain the same tire/wheel combination with my M1028 and will keep you and everybody elso on SS informed.

dc9137

Lift kit and 37" tires, 65mph ok. Swap in a 700R4 or 4L80e with 35" tires (need lift again) and 65 MPH ok. If you want to go 70 75 then a 700R4 or 4L80e and 37" tires with 3.73 gears in the axles and 75mph all day long.

Dont go over 55 MPH with stock tires and gears.
How would the 700r4 with the 3.73 gears impact towing capacity?

cliffyp

You're not going to tow in OD with a 700r4, so you are back to a 1:1 ratio. If you are planning on serious towing then a 700r4 probably isn't your best choice. You could spend a bunch and have it built way up for towing but then you might just spend that money into getting a 4L80.

dc9137

You're not going to tow in OD with a 700r4, so you are back to a 1:1 ratio. If you are planning on serious towing then a 700r4 probably isn't your best choice. You could spend a bunch and have it built way up for towing but then you might just spend that money into getting a 4L80.
Nothing serious...just a bass boat or small camper.

cliffyp

I have a 700r4 in my 1028 and its awesome for cruising. It does 65 no problem and I've done 70 a few times, this with stock tires and gears. I'm not an expert on the threshold for a 700r4 towing ability. I've heard that as long as you stay out of OD then you are fine. For the rest of the time the 700 is a fast easy way to get highway speeds without changing tires and gears. Probably the cheapest way, but that depends on lots of variables

dc9137

I have a 700r4 in my 1028 and its awesome for cruising. It does 65 no problem and I've done 70 a few times, this with stock tires and gears. I'm not an expert on the threshold for a 700r4 towing ability. I've heard that as long as you stay out of OD then you are fine. For the rest of the time the 700 is a fast easy way to get highway speeds without changing tires and gears. Probably the cheapest way, but that depends on lots of variables
Right now my thoughts are a 700r4 with a 205 and 35's, but I'm sure ill change my mind 50 times before te time actually comes