• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 highway ?

krall

ok I am just tossing some ideas around and I see on the boards here higway speed in the m1028 is not but 55 or so susstained, I want to know if its smart to go 8 +- hours in one with no concerns? would I have to stick at 55 or is this not even recomended, I would possibly driving this truck to sell and deliver so I wouldn't want it to destroy the thing?

Westech

CPL
55 tops.. see the problem is the T case over heats and boils the fluid ... you wont be able to drive 8 p[lus hours with out stopping for fuel anyhow so that is a good cool off time when you get fuel. We just did a 1500 mile run at 55 MPH in a M1028 with no problems and we stopped every 200 or so for cool down/pee stop.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will attach a pic of my 1028 I picked up in Denver and drove it to Kanssas to get the trailer. I then drove back to Michigan 60-65 with no worries at all. 1St thing I would do is go get a new Fuel filter and change it. This eliminated alot of what if's...K

Attachments

91W350

We had some mishaps when I went to recover my M1009 and we ran my M1008 hard, 60 to 65 mph hard. I hated to do it, but we had a narrow time slot that we had to pick the Blazer up in.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/44646-m1009-recovery-trip.html

When I went for my deuce, I ran 45 to 50, much easier on the old girl. My M1008 just rolled over 38,000 miles this week. I had an injector die in SD though and I probably did the engine more damage driving in the super cold with a wet cylinder than my six hour high speed run did. Glen

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/64906-ellsworth-deuce-recovery.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/64906-ellsworth-deuce-recovery.html

91W350

I will attach a pic of my 1028 I picked up in Denver and drove it to Kanssas to get the trailer. I then drove back to Michigan 60-65 with no worries at all. 1St thing I would do is go get a new Fuel filter and change it. This eliminated alot of what if's...K
You ran over 3,000 rpm for hours on end and had no worries, a small block Chevy she is not! Glen

camp9

What kind of temp are we talking about on the T case? Seems that some type of cooler could be fabricated to help keep the temp down.

Camp

91W350

Yes, the 4.56 is lower than people realize. The truck is a beautiful working rig in my opinion. In 1982 to 1989 nobody had a true heavy duty diesel pickup. Dodge upset the apple cart with the Cummins in 1989. Now the diesels are just amazing, these old engines were made as an economical alternative to gasoline. People just try to make them Cummins or Duramaxes and that they are not. They can do a good day's work, you just have to be get used to a slower pace. Glen

91W350

What kind of temp are we talking about on the T case? Seems that some type of cooler could be fabricated to help keep the temp down.

Camp
I am of no help there Camp, I did not know they had a heating problem. The day I ran mine hard it was close to zero and between blizzards. I doubt mine got very warm.

krall

kind of what i figured, I run my dually and the collant never runs hot even with a load, but I don't have off road gear so its not a problem.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What you dont know is there is a deep trans cooler pan and 1 exterior cooler already installed. My point is the trans fluid was fine for temp

camp9

Ya, that time of year shouldn't be a problem. I know some sytec oils have a lot higher heat boiling point if the T case can handle that type of oil. I'm sure there must be a reason not to use it, someone here would of done it already.

91W350

Is the transfer case in question not a separate box from the transmission? The fluid from the transfer case does not circulate through the transmission pan or cooler, does it? Mine has its own fill plug. I kick my T case in neutral and pull it behind my deuce on a tow bar without dropping the drive line. They are splash lubing, no pump. Glen

ryan77

If you only go 55 on the interstate your going to get the finger from alot of people when i was towing my m1009 back i was going 65 taking it easy and people were mean mugging me!!!!