• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 w/ 37" Humvee... how much lift?

4" or 6" lift for 37" tires????

• 4"

Votes: 22 47.8%
  • 6"

Votes: 24 52.2%

• Total voters

mark69k20

Offroad Design makes a nice heavy duty sway-bar disconnect / relocation kit. That's what I am running. It drops it down 2" and gives you the option to disconnect it when you need more flex off road.
I talked to ORD about it... I can't see spending 100 bucks on a disconnect kit that i shouldn't need to disconnect. I really just want to fab up some spacers that will effectively return it to "stock" placement or i will just remove it :)

CUCV85

4" to keep it low. cut the fenders
4" will work with a sawzall. 6" will do find except on a real off camber event. A combination will get you where you want to be. I have the 37" radials and I'm planning a 4" kit with zero rates moving the front axle an inch forward. I don't plan on taking it off road too much and there are no rocks here. I'm not going to crossover steering unless I need to. Just beware of Dana 60 steering arm blocks. These things have an open invitation to Mr Murphy.
I'm running a 4" lift with 37" Humvee radials on 16.5x10" rims. A 4" lift is perfectly fine for on road with absolute minimal trimming, but when my truck starts flexing going over things at a turn, I really would have liked the 6" lift.... I never have any rubbing issues on the street or even when going at things straight, but at a hard turn, it can hit pretty good with the 4".

I say the 4" but again it depends on what your doing with it. The 6 inch and big tires looks nice and is good for a open field mud bog but changes the center of gravity to much. Another issue for me is getting a jacked up truck down a 2 track up here.. You just rip lights off, smash roofs, and roll them over. Don't forget about driveshaft angles all out of wack eating up U joint..2cents
I have a 4" suspension lift on my 3/4ton Chevy with the 37x12.5's. Not one problem with rubbing. I would have went with a 6" but the entire kit was free(front/rear springs, shocks, hardware). I bought a 6" kit bout 5 years ago off eBay, they sent me a 4" kit by mistake and actually told me to keep the 4" due to the cost of shipping and sent out the correct 6"!! The 6" went on my red 1980. The 4" on the Black 1985. I did not need a sawzall to trim anything with the 4" but the truck doesn't see much offroad.
I would get 4" of lift and cut the fenders

:rant:Told you bro I also would go with 4 inch cut the fenders :deadhorse:

Csm Davis

so you are putting blocks on the front? I am building a 1028a2 with as little lift as possible, none on the rear and 2-4 inch on front to level it out and cut out the front fenders to clear.

steved454

I went with re-arching the springs and did a 4 1/2 inch lift. The only mistake was putting 35 inch tires, I should have went with 37 inch ( still trying to figure out how to put them on my Honda!). I do not think you would trim or if so very little trim to put 37 inch under it. I have plenty of room to put 37's under my truck.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 4" lift and 37" tires with no trimming. I don't off road and it has been just fine. The 37" tires gained me about 9.5 mph top end.

4" is just barely enough. can see wanting just a bit more but, thats when you need to start changing drive shafts and CV joints and steering and brake lines and....

I may consider adding the zero rates on the front, eventually.

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Where to get

I went with re-arching the springs and did a 4 1/2 inch lift. The only mistake was putting 35 inch tires, I should have went with 37 inch ( still trying to figure out how to put them on my Honda!). I do not think you would trim or if so very little trim to put 37 inch under it. I have plenty of room to put 37's under my truck.
Where did you get your springs re-arched? also I go to jackson a couple times a month, would love to see your truck.

steved454

Deep south spring in Jackson,ms did my springs. They do the spring work for all of our fire trucks. Rusty is the guy that owns the place and is great. Just give me a pm Csm Davis, would be happy to show it to you anytime. Nice to see more MS people on the forum!

steved454

about how much does the re-arching cost?

The total price for re-arching the front and back springs was $825 including a new drop pitman arm and 4 new shocks. If I was to put a 4 or 6 inch lift price( $300 to $450) that is with blocks in the rear and new springs in the front, the kit usually comes with shocks but you have to pay more for a pitman arm. If you kit the kit with new front and back springs you are now up to the $800 price range and you still have to put the kit on yourself. I have put 4 inch lifts on before but with out a lift it is harder for me to install one larger than that and it still takes all day. Usually I atleast smash one finger say many words I do not need to say when my kids are watching me!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks