• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028A3 Owners

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
How many of you have trucks where the installers did not cut out the rear fender opening before installing the dually fenders on the bed? Mine were not cut out, and I just saw a pic of another SS members 1028A3 in the albums, and his were not cut out either.

Thanks,
Ed

48cj2a

I don't know what the nomenclature was changed to but in the mid to late 80s my Air Guard unit received a Time Compliance Technical Order (TCTO) Army equivelant to a MWO to take our M1028s and convert them to duallys. Our M1028s were already shelter carriers and did not come with tailgates. We were installing AN/TRC-170 V3 TROPO Scatter Microwave Radio Commo S-250 shelters in the back and they would tow a M116 variant with the antenna systems.

I recall a new rearend, dually wheels and the fenders, not sure if the front end was new or just added the reverse wheel mounting application, also not sure if anything happened to the rear springs but there are still a few retirees around that I could ask if there is an interest.

These trucks were used very little and would have been primo to get your hands on.

Be interesting if I could dig up our vehicle reg numbers and see if anyone might still have them. We had about a dozen M1008, 1028s and 2 M1009s all would have been either 84 or 85KXXXX.

What I was getting at was they just mounted the fenders on the existing bed and never cut them out.

Reactions: FMJ

Crash_AF

According to the TCTO, the Army MWO was to be performed to enhance off road stability with the heavier Comm shelters. The Army MWO included templates to cut the fenders and drill the holes for the fender mounting. I would assume that to cut corners and get the vehicles back online as soon as possible, some of the fenders could possibly have not been cut.

The front hubs on the axle were changed out for the dually units, and in some cases, to cut corners this wasn't done either as I've seen a few dually converted 1028s with standard front wheels.

My unit in Germany had 4 of those AN/TRC-170s, they were all cut properly.

Later,
Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks