• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078 LMTV A0 windshield wiper

JD4044M

So there is a nut out the outside hidden to look for. I thought it came off like a Chevys once pressure is off the arm can pull off. I will look for the nut tomorrow. They made it go down to far way further then you use to look thru. They work great in the Time Delay and stopping all strait up if want or all down. Thanks!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
To move the arm just take the nut off and put pressure on the arm sideways and wiggle it. To get to the linkage take the PCP out and remove the heater assembly plus maybe the instrument panel. It is really pretty easy.
Thanks m-35tom ! I can definitely give that a shot... Didn't want to just start ripping into it without purpose. I presumed there was another metal panel behind that heater box. :) I will definitely scope it out - hopefully fix it over the weekend - and report back with pictures!

Tim

Reworked LMTV

Older thread - but it does mention windshield wipers... When I purchased my truck from its previous owner, there were two brand new blades and arms with obviously "civi blades" on them. The center blade just lays there and doesn't move (picture below). I don't always take the shortcut way - but it looks like this is going to be a BEAR to get to... Anybody got suggestions on where to start gaining access to the linkage?

Based on reading this thread, I am guessing that there is a piece of linkage has come loose on that center wiper arm. Again, it looks like a miserable thing to get to. ANY ideas, suggestions or even referral to a TM would be appreciated.

View attachment 818104
Highly recommend silicone blades and Rain-X when you redo it.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the day i brought my truck home the turn signal post when u twist it will find a (on) sweet spot and that comes on and you have to twist it off at the moment the blades are down to have them stay there. I removed the center blade arm it doesnt seem to be needed in my situation . And REWORKED'S suggestion on Rainx works well if you apply it on a hot day and polish it dry on the windsheild with a dry towel then keep your hands off the wiper controls when it starts raining and get use to not useing the wipers in the rain its great but rain x has ruined every set of wiper blades ive ever tried to use while rainx is on the glass it turns the blades to rockhard plastic in no time that wont wipe anything.

Reworked LMTV

Since the day i brought my truck home the turn signal post when u twist it will find a (on) sweet spot and that comes on and you have to twist it off at the moment the blades are down to have them stay there. I removed the center blade arm it doesnt seem to be needed in my situation . And REWORKED'S suggestion on Rainx works well if you apply it on a hot day and polish it dry on the windsheild with a dry towel then keep your hands off the wiper controls when it starts raining and get use to not useing the wipers in the rain its great but rain x has ruined every set of wiper blades ive ever tried to use while rainx is on the glass it turns the blades to rockhard plastic in no time that wont wipe anything.
I have not seen the rock hard plastic issue with any of my vehicles. I have however seen the Southern sun destroy rubber blades though. This is why I went to silicone blades. They will outlast rubber ones 10 to 1.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I do have to say that even excluding the rain x -- wipers are not the same quality that they were many years ago. I guess the silicon is the upgrade to the Aamco blades we used to buy at the parts house for $2. I do remember being on a road trip some time ago and getting a set of Rain X blades. Don't remember them being any better either. Doubt they were silicon...

Reworked LMTV

I do have to say that even excluding the rain x -- wipers are not the same quality that they were many years ago. I guess the silicon is the upgrade to the Aamco blades we used to buy at the parts house for $2. I do remember being on a road trip some time ago and getting a set of Rain X blades. Don't remember them being any better either. Doubt they were silicon...
Silicone blades are not cheap, but well worth it in the long run.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
ressurecting an old thread...

are the LMTV wiper blades standard automotive type ?
Toyota 4runner. Sorry I don't have better info, but taking a blade to the local parts house should get you what you need.

---- or ----

The OEM ones are made by Sprague and the part number is S-4706 .

Sprague parts come from Rome Trucking. http://www.rometruckparts.com

Fluid Nozzle that attach to the arms is Part number is 106.731
Plastic covers cover the nut at the base is part number 189.733.

JD4044M

My Ladder used to climb that pole all the time with spikes to add lights and change lamps. The lights are around 28 ft off the ground too. It was getting harder each year to go up so I welded up a ladder for old age. Old age has come it is even hard to climb the ladder, spike the pole anymore out of the question!! On the wipers I think I could go longer on one. Just go to a store they will let you take it out to see how long you could go. I had to remove and put back up the flag pole on top! Rope stuck in a pulley. Solved it with a better pulley and bigger rope. That 2" pipe is 10 ft long on top and glad it is 1/4" aluminum not steel! It is bolted to the top with 2- 5/8" Thru Bolts for Poles.DSCF6744.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
My Ladder used to climb that pole all the time with spikes to add lights and change lamps. The lights are around 28 ft off the ground too. It was getting harder each year to go up so I welded up a ladder for old age. Old age has come it is even hard to climb the ladder, spike the pole anymore out of the question!! On the wipers I think I could go longer on one. Just go to a store they will let you take it out to see how long you could go. I had to remove and put back up the flag pole on top! Rope stuck in a pulley. Solved it with a better pulley and bigger rope. That 2" pipe is 10 ft long on top and glad it is 1/4" aluminum not steel! It is bolted to the top with 2- 5/8" Thru Bolts for Poles.View attachment 843867
First Class all the way! I like it. A lot!

Maybe we need to build one of those for those idiots in the white house.
Possibility that it would remind them where they work...

Or maybe we should just go ahead and hang a chinese or a taliban flag up over there.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks