• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078 LMTV dump conversion

Ford Mechanic

Hey guys, The municipality I work for is looking at a 1078 LMTV and hoping to get a couple different uses out of it. The one that I'm concerned about is putting a dump kit on the bed to use it for yard waste, spoilage removal, dirt, crush and run transport to work sites. I'm concerned about the aluminum bed and how it will hold up, spoilage from worksites normally has a couple big chunks of concrete or asphalt from where they tore up the road or possibly pieces of steel or concrete pipe from the repair. The other concern is the underside of the bed where the lift would be attached, will it hold up to the duties being the structure is all aluminum?

I have thought about a couple options, I could line the bed floor with steel plate and bolt it down to secure it. That would take quite a bit more abuse, but it would not likely be a permanent fix as well as possibly have issues with dissimilar metal corrosion.

A option about the lift would be to build a sub frame that spread the weight out quite a bit.

The best option I have come up with is to replace the bed entirely with a steel one and resolve all those issues.

Any thoughts?

Also can I duel this truck out on 1100r20 M939 rims? It would also help with height conflicts.

Thanks
Mike

74M35A2

I'd go sub-frame with hinges built into that (easy), then line the bed floor with thick outdoor plywood, carriage bolted down. Steel plates are heavy and will cut into your load carrying and dump capacity. You'll get a few different opinions here, which is a good thing as you know.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Its the sides that wont take the abuse, I would think a hook lift would be a better option, swap from dump, to flat, to tank, to sander.
The welds won't like either , aluminum is good for hot asphalt , but not concrete, old asphalt . rocks ect. .
Steel boxes take a beating from it , most new steel dump boxes are high tensile steel.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wheel swap to dualled 11.00's should work. I've used one on a 1082 trailer.

I wouldn't try to make the bed into a dump. The bed itself would probably be ok, but the sides are fragile. I'd replace the whole thing with a dump bed. (I had a guy trying to buy the bed off my m1082 for use as a dump for his farm. Sadly I had to turn away a sale and talk him out of it.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks