• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1078 tow capacity with gooseneck

richingalveston

I am considering a larger truck for the farm. I have two gooseneck trailers. one 20 ft. cattle and one 36 ft. dual tandem heavy duty (trailer about 6500 empty)

I haul cows and hay and farm equipment. I would like a truck with a flat bed but need gooseneck hitch. Not looking to haul heavy stuff on the bed but need to tow a lot and be able to handle the gooseneck weight.

I had a ford f 350 srw. 7.3 with 5 speed but we got rid of that. I have a 2500 but the big trailer is a little to much for it.

I have hauled a d-4 dozer on the big trailer with the F350 with no problems.

needing a 450 or larger truck with off road ability (farm pasture with trailer) I like the 1078 but not sure it would handle the big trailer. I also do not know how it would do with the gooseneck. Not sure how good the brakes are on an LMTV.

Never been interested in a big truck other than the LMTV. I have to be able to work it to justify having one.

Just looking for opinions. I know CUCV's not LMTV's

Thanks
Rich

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bed height is 60" if your goose neck is extra high it may work, has air for trailers with air brakes. Has both mil and commercial trailer plugs, would have to add electronic brake controller. The A1's have an exhaust brake. Your looking at a 17k lb truck with a 225 hp cat 3116 motor. When I get mine registered I will use it on my mini farm and may end up towing my gooseneck like a bumper pull. They are not fast, no a/c, no radio, but I still love mine.

richingalveston

I will probably not travel more than 100 miles in any round trip. Everything will be local driving in N E texas

The big trailer has tall hitch. That is what I need it most for. I can haul 20 round bails on it. 5x5 bails double stacked.
Depending on how wet he bails are it is 15 to 20k lbs. with the trailer.

The cattle trailer I use my 2500 duramax.

Thanks, I may have some farm money to spend at the end of this year so I am just kicking around some possibilities.

richingalveston

that's a really awesome truck. I would love that with a flat bed. I figured it would haul the goose neck well since not much hangs behind the back tires. It looked like one was towing a tank so I believe it will handle my hay and tractor loads

I would love to have it as a long range overland camper also but that would have to be done with a slide in camper. I would have to use it on the farm also.

I have a 1009 to get finished this year but maybe I can keep my eye out for a LMTV at the end of the year for the next project.
I have a 66.5 bronco that I want to restore also so I will have to make a choice. to keep me busy next year. The bronco won't help me on the farm.

Thanks, I think the truck can do what I want and possibly much more.

Rich

aleigh

All the M1078s are "flatbeds" - the sides and tail gates come off. They stow under the bed compartments.

According to the manuals, a LMTV at gross will flat-tow another LMTV at gross, which is just short of 13 ton. I've never towed anything that heavy with mine, so I couldn't comment on how well it works.

The 60" deck height can be a challenge. Depending on your trailer. If it is too high and you don't want to take the bed off and put a different one on, you could use a dolly. Some guys around here have made some nice ones that I have seen. But then of course you'd have problems backing the rig up. You could put a shorter bed on it and then put a 5th wheel directly on the frame over the rear axle. Just a thought.

Note here that the bed is artificially high. There is basically a bracket / spacer bolted onto the truck frame to make the bed much higher. I think they did this so that the loading heights were consistent across many different trucks. Adds weight and can't be good for CG though.

Last edited: