• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1081 LMTV out of Ft Bragg...all/some used overseas?

sjohn116

This is just my curiosity of the deployment of the LMTVs currently being surplussed out of Ft. Bragg and other facilities. A handful are desert tan, most are OD camo... does that mean that few of the 1081s were used in the (until-recently) current campaign (those that are still desert tan), or were most used overseas and then painted back upon return to the States? I'm not interested in the service record of any single vehicle, but the group as a whole. Seems that the intended purpose of the 1081 would dictate all were overseas at some point (minus a few for training/loading/handling stateside). Your thoughts/input?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to Steelsoldiers, excellent thread subject/topic. I have been trying to figure this out as well. If you study the GP listings, it is quite apparent that the Bragg 1081's are/were used hard and put up wet. I believe the NATO 3 color camo trucks never went to Iraq or Afghanistan, but were used for training at Bragg. Mine appears to have done a lot of ammunition hauling. I also suspect that the tan trucks being sold have never been in overseas combat either. I believe the 1081s that went to Afghanistan as pigs never came back. I believe this because all of the tan Bragg trucks are basically in factory form and have not lost their roofs along the way, and show no signs of extensive modifications.

Bobcat701

If a stateside LMTV is woodland camo it probably did not serve in AFG or IRQ. LMTVs that did go were painted tan by the unit that was deploying. Many of the trucks that did go to the desert ended up staying in theater due to cost of transporting them back and forth. The ones that stayed in theater were placed on the theater property book.

Also due to the IED threat, units going to Iraq kept their old LMTVs at their home station and used armored LMTVs that were pre positioned.

As far as new trucks coming into Fort Bragg all the ones I seen are tan, and up armored. Its amazing how great the tan color blends into the woods. Not sure if any other color pattern is being issued at other forts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks